LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Alright well it's been a good 3 months since I've bought any lumber and probably twice that since Ive had a decent gloat. So let's just say I've been dying to buy something that was worth it let alone a deal like this. Well earlier today I saw on AD on CL for some Mahogany shorts 5$ a board. It ended up being a local woodworking supply store so I gave them a ring to see what it was about. The guy said sizes ranged from 5"-7"W x 16"-32"L all 6/4 plus. So I made my way down there to check it out.

Well this is what 40$ got me (4) 32"x7"x7/4 and (6) 16"x7"x7/4 so a lil over 16bf of some damn nice mahogany. With absolutely no noticeable warp, twist or bowing. I would almost venture to say it was damn near Luthier quality. It was like grandma with a birthday cake!!! There is probably about 25bf of wide stock left and I'd guess 50bf of the 5"W, if I would have had enough money I would have grabbed it all.

Some might just consider this alright but even though I didn't get a ton I feel like a million bucks considering the price and the quality of the stock.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
Nice. I once defiled some 8/4×13"x10' of mahogany by cutting it into 1/4" strips because I thought I could eventually veneer something with it. It was gonna be a solid fireplace mantle but one end had a twist and I had no idea what a jointer was. I'm so ashamed of myself. Anyway, nice score.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.