LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the begining

I have Festool TS55 circular saw, because my shop is too small to place a tablesaw which will occpy almost all the space of my shop.
But these days, when I tried to make a small project, I found it very difficult to cut small pieces with Festool.

So I decided to buy a table saw.

Since there is no good table saw in Japan, I must buy one from the U.S.
But it is very hard for me to find a shop which can ship heavy items to Japan.

I am lost from the begininng.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
At the begining

I have Festool TS55 circular saw, because my shop is too small to place a tablesaw which will occpy almost all the space of my shop.
But these days, when I tried to make a small project, I found it very difficult to cut small pieces with Festool.

Cutting small pieces on a tablesaw can be hard too. Perhaps a SCMS (Sliding Compound Miter Saw) would be a better fit for your space. Also why couldn't you use your bandsaw?

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
At the begining

I just did an interview with General International (General Canada's line of tools that are built overseas. Are they not available to you?
from information I've heard/read, the International Line is good quality.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
At the begining

Nakamaruchi, what kind of projects do you wish to create?

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
At the begining

You might be able to find n European company or at least a company that is on the same land mass and not require and over-the-water delivery.

·
Registered
125 Posts
At the begining

Don't forget the US is 110V 60Hz. and we use an antiquated unit of measure.

·
Registered
528 Posts
At the begining

I believe Grizzly ships internationally. They have some pretty nice table saws too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
At the begining

I just looked at your profile and you do have a small shop. Have you seen these Table/Miter Saws. If you are only doing small stuff this might be a good option. This one is from Makita, but there are other manufactures out too. They seem to be popular in Europe.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
At the begining

that reminded me of a comment made by Jim McEntee of Steel City Tool Works:

Interview Question: And what if you don't happen to live in North America and you want to get your hands on a Steel City machine?
Mr. McEntee chuckled at this and said, "We'd find a way."

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
At the begining

Have you checked for a bench top table saw? Not to many out there to choose from. Something such as
http://www.amazon.com/JET-708315BTC-JBTS-10BT-3-Benchtop-Table/dp/B000CFH3A8/&tag=toolcribcom130-20
Should be small enough to save on shipping. Just an idea.
Good luck and I hope that this helps.

-Gene, Virginia

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
At the begining

There are also a couple of comments over at the Festool Owner's Group recently about people developing better techniques for small parts. There was a thread recently on building an auxiliary fence for the MFT, and I can imagine some reasonable ideas for clamps to hold small parts under the rail.

Like others, I'd suggest that rather than leaping directly for the tablesaw, maybe ask for a few suggestions on how to make some of those difficult cuts on the TS55 and the MFT, or look at how an SCMS would help you, or…?

Start with the goal and work backwards.

(Of course, maybe the goal really is "I want a tablesaw", in which case I know there are a couple of companies that specialize in shipping aggregation, so you could get a crate with a saw in it stuffed in a shipping container somewhere…).

·
Registered
777 Posts
At the begining

Another thing to keep in mind… Festool is coming out with a sliding compound miter saw (and a palm router) in the near future (2008?). If a SCMS sounds like it might work, you can still stick w/Festool.

Another thought… Festool has a fixture for making the planer a stationary tool. I wonder if there is some way of doing the same thing for the TS55?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
At the begining

Yep, I believe that Festool has a device for turning the TS55 into a table-saw like device,except the blade slides. However, this is NAINA (Not Available In North America), so I've only heard it rumored and seen pictures.

·
Registered
777 Posts
At the begining

Well, as long as it is AIJ, then that would still work for Nakamaruchi!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At the begining

What a site !
Thank you guys, I am surprised at seeing such many masseges to me.

Damian, I use band saw only for resawing, because it can't make precise dimension parts as far as I know.

MsDebbieP, I asked them a shipping quotation before, but perhaps they answered they couldn't.

Dadoo; I want to make beautiful cabinets with many drawers so I think I must get a tablesaw.

·
Registered
777 Posts
At the begining

By the way, Satoru… here is a recent interaction I had with Festool:

My e-mail:
Festool Customer Service,

I know there is a bench unit for holding the HL 850 E planer in an inverted position. Is there also a unit for inverting the TS 55 or TS 75 in the MFT? If not, maybe that is something to consider for the future?

Regards,
Ethan Sincox

Festool's response (within an hour):
Ethan,

We have something like that overseas, but it's not yet approved for sale in the US.
Great idea, huh? Please be sure to let me know if there is anything else.

Mark Kalin
Tool and Application Expert

Festool USA
Tooltechnic Systems, LLC
140 Los Carneros Way
Goleta, CA 93117
Phone: (888) 337-8600 ext. 60503
Fax: (888) 550-6425
Email: [email protected]
Webpage: www.festoolusa.com

You might want to check out the Festool website (if you go to Festool.com, then you can even find the website appropriate to Japan) and see if you can find the attachment for inverting your TS 55 and eliminating the need for a larger tablesaw.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
At the begining

Makita, Craftsman and Bosch make a folding contractors saw that you can almost store in a closet when not needed. My Craftsman uses a 10" blade and will cut compound miters 30" to the left or right side of the fence. It comes with a router table and sliding panel sled that will allow you to cut door panels up to 28" wide. Dust collection is out a 2 1/2" chute in the back…connects directly to a shop vac. Blade changes are very easy and the blade is belt driven. Power is fantastic and won't slow even when ripping hard maple! It's the fence that makes the saw and this one is very good and accurate. It also can use a stacked dado set. I'm very happy with mine.

You can view this at: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=table+saw&viewItems=20&pageNum=2

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At the begining

Mike, gene
Grzzly doesn't ship to foreign countries. They said so In their web site. If it is possible, it will be a good choice, I guess.
Small bench top tablesaws are sold also in Japan , but I hear that they can not render a beautiful surface because of direct driving. So I thought I shouldn't buy one of them instead of big tablesaw. But if I can get beautiful surface with no groove with a bench top tablesaw, I should consider them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At the begining

Dan,
I saw the Festool Owner's Group. There were a lot of useful informations. Without buying a tablesaw I may cut small pieces with no difficulty. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At the begining

Ethan,
I might find what you told.
http://www.festool.com.au/mediandoweb/index.cfm?sLanguage=AUS-English&ID_O_TREE_GROUP=3494&ID_O_PRODUCT=24982&BLATT=1&PARENT=1763

But without fence it will cost more than $3000. It is too expensive for me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.