LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Involving My Son

A few weeks ago I was reading Kari Hultman's blog over at The Village Carpenter blog where she encouraged woodworkers to involve others in woodworking. (The idea wasn't original with her, but that's where I found it.)

I was a little late in hearing about it, but realized it was still a good idea. So this past week I had my 11 year old son in the shop. We drew some design ideas, picked out wood, cut some dovetails, selected stain color options, and worked on a project together.

I've not posted a picture of the project. The project doesn't matter. What matters was the time spent with my son. And as you can see below, it was time well spent!

Glasses Smile Vision care Tableware Eyewear

Attachments

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Involving My Son

A few weeks ago I was reading Kari Hultman's blog over at The Village Carpenter blog where she encouraged woodworkers to involve others in woodworking. (The idea wasn't original with her, but that's where I found it.)

I was a little late in hearing about it, but realized it was still a good idea. So this past week I had my 11 year old son in the shop. We drew some design ideas, picked out wood, cut some dovetails, selected stain color options, and worked on a project together.

I've not posted a picture of the project. The project doesn't matter. What matters was the time spent with my son. And as you can see below, it was time well spent!

Glen, Together my son and I are building a drill press cart. Your right, its not about the project but the time shared.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Involving My Son

very encouraging, Thanks Glen.

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
8,391 Posts
Involving My Son

I agree that the time shared is absolutely the most important thing, but it is an added thrill for a youngster to see his project posted when that is possible, and it will surely reinforce the pleasure of his time spent in the shop too.

Attachments

·
In Loving Memory
8,391 Posts
Involving My Son

Hi Glen. It is good when fathers share projects. I agree that the time shared is absolutely the most important thing, but it is an added thrill for a youngster to see his project posted when that is appropriate, and it will surely reinforce the pleasure of his time spent in the shop with you too.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Involving My Son

Mike, you are exactly right. Thanks for helping me in this process, too. Our project will be on here in the next week or so, and I'll let him help me do that, too.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Involving My Son

Glen, "I've not posted a picture of the project. The project doesn't matter. What matters was the time spent with my son. And as you can see below, it was time well spent."

and you both will reap the rewards for years.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.