LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I'm in a similar situation. General's recommendation is to use a .043" - .051" tip with an HVLP gun. With my gun, (Earlex 5000) the 1mm tip = .040", so that's the tip I'll be using with the Enduro precat.

From General's website:

"Recommended Spray Tips for Wood Stains and Top Coats. Fluid tip sizes should be as follows: Compressed air - .040, HVLP - .051, Airless - .009. Recommended Tips for Milk Paint. Compressed air - .050, HVLP - .072, Airless - .013. Air caps should be medium size. Contact your supplier to verify proper tip sizes for your specific equipment."

They also recommend using their Pre-Cat Sanding Sealer before using the Enduro. BTW, I posted a question about tip size over at WoodWhisperer's website here:

"Music to My EARlex": http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-45-music-to-my-earlex/#comment-56029

· Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the tips Charles and everyone. My first experience using my Earlex was with Minwax Polycrylic. If I recall correctly, this is a water-based lacquer of sorts. Anyway, my one-time experience echoes what Charles said After practicing on some old masonite, I shot the first coat on my project. It had a rough appearance when wet, but after drying it leveled out very nicely. I scuffed lightly between each coat with a green Scotchbrite pad. I'm very pleased with the results. I'd use the polycrylic again, but I'm building a keyboard/mouse tray and I want something more durable. The General Finishes product looks to fit the bill.

I plan on buying their enduro pre-cat sealcoat and topcoat, but I wonder if dewaxed shellac wouldn't serve just as well for the sealcoat.

· Registered
6 Posts
I bought my stuff today: Pre-Cat sanding sealer + topcoat. I also bought the 1.0mm spray tip because I plan on shooting my piece with black TransTint dye before the topcoat is applied. Per Charles, I'll use the 1.5mm tip for the sanding sealer and Pre-Cat.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey Charles, thanks for suggestions on the pre-cat. Yes, I bought the pre-cat top coat as well. As for the india ink, I've heard of this stuff before but never used it. I have used TransFast black dye before and liked the results. Why I went with the TranTint was for the NGR properties. Plus, I just wanted to try the product out. Will india ink raise the grain? If so, that's fine…I just like to know what I'm getting in to should I try it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.