LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
I am having trouble locating information about using this product on new wood. I plan to spray using a Rockler HVLP system like this.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10469

I am looking for help in selecting tip size, what the film should look like right after spraying, etc.

Thanks for any help given.

· Registered
51 Posts
I have sprayed 2 coats, sanded 400 grit and sprayed two more coats. Each coat was allowed to dry 1 to 4 hours between coats. The sanded coat was allowed to dry overnight.

I keep getting this rough pebbly finish. The first picture is after the forth coat and a day of drying. The second picture is after sanding 400 grit.

So what am I doing wrong?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Foul language is good!

I now have that flowed out surface that I remember from the day…..

I also have some runs that I will be glad to give away. But I can see what I was doing wrong and that my present equipment may work out just fine. It is a HF HVLP unit like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44677

I am using the smallest needle, 1.5mm, that came with it.

Thanks, CharlesNeil, for sharing your knowledge.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The earlex 5000 looks great and will be added to the list. I have been foam brushing various waterborne finishes for two years. The things I make are a challange to finish. http://www.ovaltambour.com I wanted to try spraying so I looked around and found favorable reviews for this machine. I hope it will get me through my current production season of Tambour Desks and Oval Tambour Jewelry Boxes.

In the day I finished my work with varnish or Velvit Oil. i now have to use more responsible finishing methods.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not using a sanding sealer on this work, I just spray the pre-cat on the sanded bare wood. Does anyone have any thoughts about any benefits for sanding sealer? I am finding mixed opinions on the need for sanding sealer.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Next question. After spraying a few minutes I get this little cone of finish buildup on the tip. It can get an eight of an inch long and really interfere with the spray pattern. Is this normal or can it be avoided somehow?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That was quick! This thread will be the cat's meow to the next poor soul that follows in my feet prints.

I just sprayed another coat on the work surfaces of the three desks I am making and the film has flowed out to a mirror smooth surface. This is simply wonderful..!! I can't thank you enough. I no longer drink much but I'd be glad to sport a Black Russian with a Baileys on the side, straight up, for you should our paths ever cross!

Another quick question; what happens when a duck flies upside down?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So I could spray the pre-cat urethane using my compressor and a gun? My compressor is only 3/4 HP. Which gun should I be looking at? Does this mean I don't need to use a "turbine" sprayer?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The RO pneumatic sander you are using in the rubbing out video looks like it has a different H&L pad than my electric Porter Cable RO sander. Your pad looks cushy and mine is harder.

Bruce - let's see how long it takes for an answer this time….....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.