LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Design

Here is a quick picture of the design for the cabinet I am currently working on.

It is basically made out of 3/4 ply, with dado joinery.

Found this design in several different books, but they just used butt joints. One thing I still haven't decided is how much screwing I should do (on the shelves guys!), and how to cover them up.

I am also thinking about dressing up the front just a bit.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Design

Here is a quick picture of the design for the cabinet I am currently working on.

Found this design in several different books, but they just used butt joints. One thing I still haven't decided is how much screwing I should do (on the shelves guys!), and how to cover them up.

What kind of wood are you going to use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Design

It's cabinet grade birch ply with some poplar edging on the shelves. Probably going to put 'breadboard ends' on the left and right ends of the top, and stick with veneer tape for the front.

Trying to balance making it look ok, with actually getting it done sooner rather than later.

I have everything but the doors cut to size. Waiting for a long enough time period to put the carcasse together.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
putting it together

My camera died, so no pictures for a while. Looks like my unconscious decided for me how to dress up the doors. I didn't cut them out until I put the case together, since I wanted the dimensions just right. So of course I screwed up the math. the panels are too short, but I have some extra poplar, so instead of edge banded ply, they will be framed.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
putting it together

My camera died, so no pictures for a while. Looks like my unconscious decided for me how to dress up the doors. I didn't cut them out until I put the case together, since I wanted the dimensions just right. So of course I screwed up the math. the panels are too short, but I have some extra poplar, so instead of edge banded ply, they will be framed.
John, there are no mistakes in woodworking- only opportunities to add details. Rest assured that you are not alone here with this "design change". Everyone who has made panels has done the same thing at some time or another. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.