LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
When I use Frog Tape, when I peel some off the roll, I get the scent of freshly ground black pepper.

Not faint, either. Every time. Only when I peel it off the roll though.

It fascinates me, and I LOVE black pepper, so this doesn't bother me at all. However, ...

I have not found anyone that shares this experience with me.

It is so strong for me that I am convinced that the adhesive they use must be derived-from or includes a compound prevalent in peppercorns.

I know that Frog Tape adhesive is markedly different than blue painter's tape adhesive because Frog Tape adhesive LOVES to bind to itself, unlike painter's tape.

Has anyone else noticed the smell about Frog Tape?

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
The yellow smells like steak seasoning….. :)

- LeeRoyMan
I don't know, LeeRoy. For me, it's a distinct smell of Thai curry paste. I mean, it's like I'm sitting in front of a plate of Gaeng Garee Gai with jasmine rice.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Its probably just the poison from the endangered poison tree frogs they boil down to get the adhesive. Nothing to worry about. Personally i prefer the yellow tape mixed with coconut milk and a sprig of lemongrass.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
They ve never been successful with their boycott of Turtle Wax.

- Gene Howe
Or the baby oil!

Although I'm rather fond of the Zinsser Seal Coat. Hard to find your own seals on the cheap when you live so far south of the arctic.

Personally I like it when some shop material has a good/non-offensive aroma.

·
Premium Member
28,629 Posts
ok devin since i had a roll i had too see for myself,and your right it does have a pepper smell.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Its probably just the poison from the endangered poison tree frogs they boil down to get the adhesive. Nothing to worry about. Personally i prefer the yellow tape mixed with coconut milk and a sprig of lemongrass.

- SMP
You're supposed to lick the frog, I hear tell. I'll stick to coffee and beer for my poisons.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I've never used Frog tape. I guess I'll have to go sniff some at Lowes when I go back, tomorrow. Maybe it's one of those genetic things like the smell of pee after eating asparagus that only 50% or so of the population can smell. I'd like to be in the non-smeller group, tbh. I bought some 1X6 lumber for some totes to store stuff, and I'm not keeping that wany, gouged-up board until the prices drop. That and a bunch of drawer pulls that are the wrong size. :/

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.