LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
That's a subjective call that only you can make. The 508 has twice the teeth and definitely gives a cleaner cut…the teeth should also stay sharp longer because they share the work load.

I had the SD208 for a few years and thought it was pretty good, but think that the DeWalt/Delta 7670, Systimatic S42Fine, and Infinity Dadonator leave a cleaner cut too…the Dadonator is incredible and runs ~ $200, the Systimatic is ~ $300, and the 7670 is on sale from Grizzly for $90 shipped)...highly recommended as the most bang for the buck in that price range…nice carrying case, and nice shim stock too!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Chunky, I don't have a dado set yet, but have kinda been looking and following Knotscotts info on them to decide what fits best for what I do in the shop.

I did notice that my local Lowe's had the SD208 on clearance recently for $75, so you might check that out if it is a fit for you.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Hey Chunk:

I bought the Freud SD208 set at my local Lowes a couple of days ago. I cut a few dados and rabbits in a project with it-- works great. I got the last set they had, cause they are clearing them off the shelf. I got it for $69 bucks. I already had two sets, but got these for a back-up just on account.
The way I see if from where I stand, most dados and rabbits AREN"T going to be seen anyway, so it's no big thing to worry about. As long as they cut a clean bottom and the part fits, that's all you need. You have plenty of blades and shims to "get'er done". Just my theory.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have the Freud box joint cutter set, it cuts perfect 1/4 or 3/8 flat bottom dadoes. Two passes for 3/4, could be an alternative. I,m sure the dado set cuts just as well.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I was at Lowes today and looked at the clearance SD208's. They had two, one with a silver ice coating and the other set was black. Both were marked at $75. Both sets looked like maybe they had either been used, or maybe they had just been there forever and appeared that way. Still if I am going to buy new I want it to at least look new, so I can make it old on my own. Now if they drop another $25 to get them off the shelf, well I may rethink that.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have the Delta version of the DeWalt pictured above, havent had any problems with it and it gives a nice, clean cut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.