LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I saw the Flatmaster sander at the Milwaukee woodworking show and it seemed quite nice. I thought about the kit, but it seemed rather expensive. I was wondering if any one had one, how would they make the drum on their own. Does not seem too difficult to make without buying the kit? Is the drum that comes with it hard or soft like rubber glued to steel with the velcro attached to rubber. It seems like it does not need to be rubber as the paper "lifts" off the drum to sand. Do you think PVC would work? Too much flex?

Thanks for any ideas.

Brian A

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Hi Brian
Welcome to Ljs. If you do a search here in Ljs you will find a number of folks who have made there own sanders that I believe are similar to the flatmaster.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
My stepson and I both built the 18" V-Drum Sander from Stockroom Supply, the same company that makes the Flatmaster, and are happy with them. We thought the price was expensive but it turned out well worth it. I looked on www.stockroomsupply.com and couldn't find much information. Oh we did find the plans and the video the Stock Room Supply supplied with the sander kits to be useless.
We are going to the Wood Working Show at St.Louis this Friday, 2/12/10, and will check back you then with an opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.