LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Okay, so I've been a bit post-happy this AM, last one…

I was given the fantastic opportunity to purchase at a great price this Ulmia workbench (when a friend of a cabinet maker went to the great workshop in the sky and he wanted to get his equipment to someone who would use it). I have it in a basement workshop that is crying for a dehumidifier. The benchtop is splitting…looks like some glue is coming free right around the bench dog hold I use the most (with some pressure).

Is this something I can fix? Is it crucial to do it right away? Any suggestions on how to ensure it doesn't keep happening or get worse?

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
It's hard to see the full extent of the problem. but if it's almost all the way along the edge of the bench take it off the rest of the way re glue and clamp. If it's just a small area try to clean the cracked area out with some naphtha after it drys squirt some glue in the crack with a syringe or poor it over the crack and use a air blower to blow glue in the crack. It it's a real crack in the wood and not just the glue seem then you might want to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading before gluing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's not almost all the way across, it extends only about a foot or so. It's not a crack in the wood, but rather a place where the glue is failing on the outside piece of the glued up top. I will definitely do the suggested to get some glue in there and see if I can address it that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.