LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

first walnut bowl

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TomsChips 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hat Wood Saw Auto part Machine

Wood Hardwood Tool Building material Artifact

Table Plant Wood Hat Tree

Wood Gas Hardwood Machine Automotive wheel system

,i been practicing my bowl turning tonight and thought I was getting fairly good,,,,a friend gave me some walnut today and I attempted to make 3 bowls and everytime I got to a certain point they just broke into,,don't know what I was doing wrong,,,he said the wood was about 30 yrs old,,im including some pictures,,,maybe someone can tell me if it was me,,lol,,,most likely,,or the wood,,,

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Usually know as wind shake or ring shake. You may be able to harvest some good wood from the center but other than that don't injure yourself with unsafe wood. Best use is a warm fire (IMHO).

#5 ·
Jeff, whenever you see cracks like that, you have several options. Split it at the cracks using whatever tool you have that will allow you to do that. Use the solid wood you get to make up spindles or small things you might need around the shop.

Another option you might want to think about. Whenever you encounter cracks that are going to be a problem, if the wood is worth saving, drill holes across the cracks and use long dowel rod and glue to strengthen and stabilize the piece for a successful turning. You would also fill the cracks with whatever media you choose.

Go to youtube and search Chas Thornhill. Look for his Elm Bowl video. He used about 6-8 dowels and aluminum rods to stabilize the wood.

I would recommend against using metal rod, but I have done 3 pieces so far, and the technique worked for me, except where I used the metal rod.

Here is one in Mulberry that I used copper rod and wood dowels to insure a completed piece.
Hand Helmet Finger Insect Wood
.............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.