Freud - P410T Thin Kerf Premier Fusion General Purpose Blade (Rating: 5)

For my ongoing house renovation project I have A LOT of custom trim to do, including all the door and window casings. I chose poplar instead of pine because it machines so well. Additionally I have a lot of cabinetry work to do using maple. The combination blade on my table saw is about ten years old and I started thinking about replacing it.

While at my local Rockler store in Schaumburg, Illinois, I asked the associate his opinion on the new fusion blades. I never spent more than $40 on a blade before so this would be a decent investment. He told me he uses it in his own shop and loves them. Also he said it was resharpenable. Well, that was a great endorsement but I remained somewhat skeptical. After all, his job is to sell blades. But Freud has a very good reputation so I decided to take the plunge.

I purchased the blade and took it home to the shop. I inspected it after opening the package and I could see the extremely clean braising where the carbide teeth attaches to the body of the blade. Visually you can see a lot is going on with those special cuts to reduce vibration and that beautiful red non stick coating. I have the big catalouge and they go into great detail about all the features.

That being said, my saw is a 15 year old Craftsman. Not a bad saw at all, but the motor might be slightly under-powered by some woodworkers standards. Most of my experience was in pine, MDF and plywood. I had noticed it struggling a bit during long rip cuts in poplar, and more so in maple and oak. My biggest issue was that I often got burning and frankly those long rip cuts tended to freak me out. Also it is not quiet, particularly when slowing down.

In the end the proof is in the cutting. Out went the old blade. In, carefully, went the Freud. I replaced the ZCI, raised the blade a bit and turned on the saw.

The first surprise was how quiet it is. Not much more than a loud hum. No warble, or high pitched noise. More like the sound it made was mostly a product of how cleanly it cut the air as it turned. My experience is that very good blades sound smooth. If they sound smooth it is because they are very flat and stable and balanced and this is what you want for smooth cuts. I filmed the experience so you could hear it for yourself.

Then I ripped a poplar board. It was like a hot knife cutting through butter. The board fed easily and smoothly. There was no appreciable motor strain. I shut off the saw and looked at the beautiful cut. No burning, no tear out. Glue line ready without a doubt.

I now understand what that sales associate was talking about. Rip cuts are a pleasure. Crosscuts are a pleasure. In just a short time working on the table saw has become enjoyable again.

This is a beautiful product. The folks at Freud should be proud of themselves for putting so much love into a blade at this price point. It is my first experience with fine Italian engineering and I am a convert.

Thank you again Freud and keep up the great work!

Sincerely,

Brock Friedman, a happy Freud customer.