LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
charles ,
put a second fence ( clamped board ) ,
against the workpiece ,
to keep it from moving sideways .

that way the work can only go back and forth .

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hi Charles. Not bad for a first attempt! The mortises show evidence of the wood wandering away from the fence. If you didn't, you should try using a featherboard to hold the wood snugly against the fence. Also, you might want to make sure the bit has come to a full stop before removing the piece when you have a stopped mortise. Lastly, make sure you are not making deep passes. Maybe 1/8" or 1/4" depth at a time depending on the size of the bit and the hardness of the wood. Good start Charles.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
not bad for first! my errors were worse!

patron's idea is great - it'll mimic a mortising setup for the router table and will help control the runouts. and also, such as with any other tool in the shop - practice makes perfect! learning the ins and outs and how to finesse and control the workpiece while working with a machine makes all the difference.

thanks for the post! and looking forward to seeing the second attempt being better

·
Registered
102 Posts
Charles
I have never been a great user of producing the mortice using the router table so I came up with a simple jig that would produce the mortice with greater safety awareness. So safe that I had people with vision impairment and some totally blind producing the joint. The great advantage is all the mortices will be the same size each time. It will be necessary to produce a jig for the various thicknesses of material you are using but they can be made from scrap material from your workshop
I used this method for all the mortices I required when i was making a set of eight dining room chairs. I will post a couple of pics shortly.
Tom

·
Registered
102 Posts
There is no doubt that would help
Here is my Morticeing jig made from material in the workshop and cheaper than a spiral bit cutter

Photobucket

Making a simple stand to hold the material
Photobucket

Mortices come out the same size
Photobucket

Section through the Jig
Photobucket

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I would also recommend a cheap set of pattern guides for your router base….My Hitachi came with some and they work great in home made templates. That way you have something that is not spinning to run the router against the template…otherwise if the spinning bit meets the template it can cause you to wobble or kick. There are also pattern bits or trim bits that have roller bearings…but these cost more than a straight bit and a template and guide.

·
Registered
102 Posts
"I would also recommend a cheap set of pattern guides for your router base….My Hitachi came with some and they work great in home made templates."

I would be interested in the type of projects you produce with the aid of the guides

Tom

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Keep working at it and you'll get the results you want. I think we need to convence Template Tom to post some of his jigs and how to make them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Roz

I have tried on a number of occassions for people to accept there are alternative methods of using the router and I keep getting the same answer "I always do it this way" My answer to that has always been "Keep producing your projects using the same method and you will keep doing the same old thing over and over again"

It has been some time since I developed the skills of using the template guides It was a necessary so that I could produce material for executive aircraft at the time I was working in my cabinetmaking business. There were no written material available that I could look up for answers so I had to "Invent" my own. Since that time I have introduced new routing techniques to produce articles not possible with the standard methods posted on the use of the router(IMHO)

Post your question and maybe I can assist you to achieve what you wish to do> Of course that goes for anyone else that may be interested in what I do.

I literally have hundreds + of Templates and Jigs that I have introduced at a number of wood shows each year. I always made it a point to try and demonstrate new ideas and skills with the router that I had developed over the previous year.

So in response to your request "Where do I start" as we may not be interested in the same projects. I would be interested in suggestions from other members.
Tom

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Tom, I use my pattern guides alot. I have templates for making snack platters, fluting bowls, setting candle holder cups, I have made some geometric patterns for a kitchen table top for inlaying tile tivets and a tile lazy susan (this was requested by the folks I built the table for), I have several home made inlay patterns, I also use alot of patterns for making decorative joints for boxes….that is certainly not an all inclusive list….but I find my routers (and I have a few) to be one of the most versatile tools in my shop….I had not seen some of your stuff earlier…but will look forward to seeing it in the future - I am always interested in new ways to expand uses for my tools and new ways to make things better/easier…Your motise and tenon jig is well thought out…I will certainly need to add that to my jig projects….

·
Registered
102 Posts
Reggiek

It's good to hear from someone who also has experienced the great advantages of using the guides with the router. Had a look in your projects to see some of the projects but could not find any.
Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.