LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Well we've been cleaning up the shop over the last couple of days while the new jobs are getting lined out. My boss had us pull everything out of the cabinets so he can go through them and he started putting things aside he didn't want. Obviously being a total lumberjock I had to say that I'd take whatever he didn't want. So he put together a box of miscellaneous stuff. The stuff isn't the best stuff on the planet, but a lot of it is usable and it was all free. So I'm happy about it. Some of the items I'm not sure of their use or what they are. Any help with them is appreciated.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here are the things I'm unsure of…
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The items in the box are a variety of alan wrenches, a few countersink bits, punches, and stone carving tools. Anyhow, I like free stuff, especially free tools. Even if I don't know what they are or will never use them. LOL

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Keith, those long metal things with the handle on them and teeth on the bottom of the metal are called hand saws. They were around before table saws. Hope this helps!!!! lol

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Those old Rabbeting planes look like a plane collectors delight.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I have a few of those old tools that my Dad had I just keep them for souvenir.
I have those large scissors I don't know what you call them but the ones I have were forge by hand I use them sometime they can cut heavy gauge tin.
You have quite a collection.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Appreciate your post with myriad detailed pics. Very nice.

Presented with a seemingly array of a treasure chest of tools from your shop, as a "total lumberjock" who could resist temptation to whatever not wanted, even if it meant duplicates and junk upon junk.

Only problem: regualr LJ, not a "total" LJ, may have clearly seen through the offering.

Yes, gather it all and spend valuable time on CL and eBay, which is your and our wonderful choice.

We absolutely love the old tools, no doubt. Rich in history, completely satisfying restos.

Give credit where due, your boss was extremely and selectively smart, he perhaps unknowingly has subscribed and joined many of us in the beautiful 5S theory.

-Peter

·
Registered
18,242 Posts
It looks like that long backsaw might be a henry disston … you can date those saws from the small circular emblem. I aquired a handful of old disston saws from my grandfather when he passed. There is a website Disston Institure, that can aid in dating those old handsaws.\

Great score … i love the old tools!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
That drawing knlfe looks to be in great shape. I have a woodshop full of electric tools but when I need to replace a handle in an axe or sledge hammer I use my drawing knife and shave horse. does a faster and better job. good find.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The adjustable file is a body shop tool. the file is bolted, or screwed in place. and the threaded rod is turned to tightened, or loosened to work lead on the old tear drop fenders and bodies of the 40's cars. I used them back in the late 60's when lead was the body filler of the day! The file that is used is called a vixon file.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.