LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,892 Posts
First attempt at a hutch

First attempt at a hutch

I started this thread with questions in the forum section but I'll finish in here since I am posting the progress.
I thought I started this blog already but couldn't find it so I'm starting this one.
I bought the New Yankee workshop plans for #111 hutch. Having never built a piece of furniture I thought it was going to be hard. So far it's is coming along fairly easily. I go back to the video when I have questions and they are usually answered in there.
Tonight I assembled the frame. I quickly realized that this building units this large is not fun in a one car garage. I bought the house with the existing bench in there and only made changes to the height. This piece of furniture is helping me understand exactly what I do and do not need in this garage. After it's done I will work on organizing the garage for my needs.
Here's a photo of the work so far.

I used screws to pull it together. In the video Norm use nailes and a hammer from the inside. When I tried to use a nail gun on a test piece I was not able to get the gun into the tight corners . Since the piece will be painted I used screws to hold it together till the glue dires. I don't have clamps long enough for this.
Again, one comment may start a whole discussion but …. ;)

Biggest problem I face when gluing up edged glued boards is the slippery aspects of glue. The edges will glue up fine, no matter if you use biscuits or dowels. The strength is in the gap free edge to edge glue absorption (even stronger than a solid board) than the filler material used to keep the boards level with each other. I have a doweling jig I use (review here) but it would not do me any good if the edges were not flat against each other. As tooldad already stated, the purpose is more to keep the surfaces parallel and snug without the slide that glue can sometimes produce from the lubrication. So I would say that the spacing just depends on what you would need to keep them tight and parallel. Make sure you use cauls when edge gluing, it will save you much pain in the process.

Dovetails have an attractive look and do have a very strong bond but box joints should serve you equally well. Unless your kids/grandkids plan on attacking it with a sledge hammer, the box joints should last for years.

Great looking project. I wish my first forays looked half as good.

David

· Registered
1,892 Posts
First attempt at a hutch

First attempt at a hutch

I started this thread with questions in the forum section but I'll finish in here since I am posting the progress.
I thought I started this blog already but couldn't find it so I'm starting this one.
I bought the New Yankee workshop plans for #111 hutch. Having never built a piece of furniture I thought it was going to be hard. So far it's is coming along fairly easily. I go back to the video when I have questions and they are usually answered in there.
Tonight I assembled the frame. I quickly realized that this building units this large is not fun in a one car garage. I bought the house with the existing bench in there and only made changes to the height. This piece of furniture is helping me understand exactly what I do and do not need in this garage. After it's done I will work on organizing the garage for my needs.

I used screws to pull it together. In the video Norm use nailes and a hammer from the inside. When I tried to use a nail gun on a test piece I was not able to get the gun into the tight corners . Since the piece will be painted I used screws to hold it together till the glue dires. I don't have clamps long enough for this.
The router bits typical for a raised panel should only be used on a router table. The bits are just too large for handheld router work. There are methods to create raised panels on the tablesaw and if that looks too involved, you can always create the panels without making them raised fairly easily on the tablesaw if you have a dado blade set. Those would probably be your best options at this point.

· Registered
1,892 Posts
First attempt at a hutch

First attempt at a hutch

Part of the process is learning how to correct your mistakes and it sounds like you are doing a great job. Here is a link to making raised panels on the tablesaw, you can get to it by clicking here. I hope this helps.

David

· Registered
1,892 Posts
First attempt at a hutch

First attempt at a hutch

The door looks real nice. Almost hard to believe it is your first one. I have seen pictures of distressing and it does give a nice antiquated look. Be careful on making it look too antique, people won't believe you made it ;) Am glad that the link worked for you.

David

· Registered
1,892 Posts
First attempt at a hutch

First attempt at a hutch

Very nice Paul. I've been keeping an eye on the project and glad to see how it finished. You put alot of effort in to it. Good job and thanks for posting.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.