LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jocks-
I just got a bunch of 'desert-dried" mesquite wood at the ultimate "right" price-FREE.
I'd like to ask if anyone has worked with this wood, and if so, what I should be aware of when working it.
Also-what type of finish will it accept?
Thanks in advance!
Jim

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
It is hard, usually has a few cracks, bark inclusions, and other forms of character. It finishes beautifully with oil or film finishes. Probably my favorite wood to work with.
It does tend to tear out when planed due to all the wild grain swirls.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I've already made quite a bit from it, jewelry boxes to living room furniture, the small boxes I finish with tung oil and then wipe on poly, the larger stuff I use the same method only I use full poly un-cut. If you run into dense areas that like to soak up the finish, I use non wax shellac for the bottom coat just after the oil to seal the areas then come back over it with the poly for the top coat.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Free! Lucky you. I use hand tools mostly and when planing this stuff it is extremely tricky. Know this going in and be patient because, like gfadvm said, it's easy to tear-out. Low angle planes work very well, but I also use regular ones and have to plane from just about every side imaginable. If it doesn't plane well one way, turn the board and try another. If that doesn't work, try another. Then another. You might be turning the board or yourself around a lot. Also, learn how to use scrapers. There's no way I could finish a mesquite board without a scraper. I've got a card and a No. 80.

Making several things with it now. It can be difficult but the results are stunning. I've used nothing but Arm-R-Seal.

·
Banned
1,733 Posts
Make sure you have a quality air cleaner, DC, and/or mask. Mesquite creates an abundance of dust while planning, cutting, or turning. It draws up silica with water, so be ready to sharpen any tool used. Beautiful wood. Will take any kind of finish. My icon is a mesquite root burl, with a wax finish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.