LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm building a kids rocker in the shape of a traditional wooden boat. It is made of white cedar and quarter sawn white oak. I am not sure how to finish it but have been leaning towards either wipe on varnish or oil/varnish (isn't that what watco is). Any suggestions on these or other finishes? Is there a way to make the flecks in white oak stand out more?

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Mike, if you want to make the ray flecks pop in the QSWO, here is a post by Tim Pursell that details his process. It is not for the faint of heart but the end results appear to be well worth the effort.

·
In Loving Memory
2,568 Posts
get some Arm R Seal from General Finishes or Water lox… follow the instructions and call it a day… you will be pleased, all the pop you want and a tough as nails finish… hard stuff to beat… however the post above is super… I really like layerd finishes ,. and this is a good thread.. just dont complicate the top coat… a good oil finish on QS oak is a hard thing to beat… just use the good stuff as listed… these home mixes can get you in a lot of trouble

·
Registered
454 Posts
Details of the finish aside, one of my favorite topics to harp on is to let the finish "cure" for about 6 weeks (and away from any UV) before it sees any actual use. Even when dry, most finishes are still soft and sustain damage easily. If you can't wait 6 weeks, then wait as long as possible, but every week will add to the longevity of the original finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.