LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
LJ's,

This is a tough topic to search so I thought I'd try to solicit some opinions. I'm at the finishing stage for a red oak bunk bed I made my son and need some help.

I was planning on spraying the project but realized I just don't have enough space to set up my spray area for this project - it's just too big!. My thought was to use an aniline dye and glaze similar (in process) to my coffee tables but with different colours. I really liked the glaze look on these tables and wanted something similar on the bed. I realized last night that there is just not enough room to spray and allow for drying in my small, one car garage.

That being said, I'm leaning toward this process:

Distilled water to raise grain > Water-based Aniline Dye > Minwax Oil-based Stain > shellac > topcoat (probably some type of poly)

Before I completely ruin the bed is there anything I should realize? Has anyone done this before? Is there anything I could consider with the colours?

I have a test piece started, but that's not substitution for experience on a large piece.

Thanks,

MJ

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey MJ Have you considered moving out doors to spray. Since you are happy with the coffee table finish I would figure some way to repeat the process. The lacquers I work with are dry in 15 min. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lynn - I actually haven't thought of that. I guess I was more concerned about containment of the overspray. If it falls on my tarps etc. in the garage, there's no worries but what if the overspray goes to the neighbours. I just use the critter sprayer so it's not a really advanced system.

I just finished up my test piece and liked it but unfortunately, it didn't pass upper management so I'll try a different base coat - she didn't like the red tones so I'll try with a brown walnut under tone…

Jim - Seemed to go well with the shellac on top of the dye. Do you know if it would absorb more without it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.