LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a shadow box I am making that has plexiglass set in a groove along the inside, so its basically trapped by the frame. My question is how do you guys finish something like this? On my other 2 shadowboxes I did for my daughters, i glued up 3 sides, partially finished all the pieces then glued them together and put the poly on once it was assembled. I wasnt able to keep all the poly off the plexi, so i wasnt really happy with the way it turned out; though you cant really see it.

Now I am thinking that I could use painters tape along the edges of the plexi…but really I wanted to see how more experienced people did this…

I am planning on staining and then finishing with a varnish mix…

thanks all.

·
Registered
460 Posts
no I havent skinned it yet, so that is one of my options I suppose…And yes lew, I had thought about taping along the edges, I was just hoping maybe some old timer had some pearls of wisdom :)

When I was first designing it I was actually going to have the from beading be seperate from the entire case, by cutting it off the front of the sideboards then rabbet it then attach it to the front, but I got lazy…

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i thought about that too interpim…but i was concerned about breakage because of trapping it in the frame…If I was still doing the detached front, I would have done that…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.