LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just before the holidays I finished the American Chippendale Mirrors (all 6) I was working on. I made three versions with two finishes. Here are some photos.

Tiger maple stained with Moser's 1490 Golden Amber water-based aniline dye and finished with Minwax Satin Wipe-On Poly.

Tiger maple unstained finished with Minwax Satin Wipe-On Poly.

Cherry frame with tiger maple scroll work also finished with Minwax Satin Wipe-On Poly.

These are reproductions of a 140 year old mirror handed down in my wife's family. See my Blog (http://www.srww.com/blog) for history and construction. you can also download SketchUp plans from my Free Plans page (http://www.srww.com/sketchup-furniture-plans.htm).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks John. I left the camera in intentionally. It seems more real to me. I could have done as you said and taken it at an angle and then corrected for the distortion in Photo Shop. Or I could have cut out the mirror and replaced it with a jpeg of a beautiful woman, which would have been cool. It is interesting on how many people have commented to me about the camera. It apparently distracts form the woodworking. But so would a beautiful woman I guess.

·
Registered
722 Posts
They are all beautiful, but I also like the top one better, the color is richer and the tiger stripe is more pronounced.
Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Wayne. Most people do, and it is a traditional finish for tiger maple. But I can't wait to see the cherry and tiger maple one after it ages a few years. The cherry will darken and the tiger maple will increase contrast. It too should be nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.