LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
I've got a question regarding glass in woodworking projects.

I've been asked to make several more wine cork display cases for friends and coworkers, and each has a piece of 1/8" glass seated in a small dado in each side. The first couple I made, I just taped the glass with blue painters tape the best I could, finished it with danish oil or wipe-on poly, removed the tape, and scrapped what finish had dried on the glass with a razor blade. This worked out ok, but I was very time consuming.

Is there any better ways to handle this? I can only get the painters tape so close to the edge, and a little finish always dries and has be to removed from the glass. Any LJ's out there with experience finishing around glass that may have some tips?

I thought of prefinishing the sides, but everyone loves those miter splines and so that's out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
6,953 Posts
Maybe replace the dado with a rabbet and quarter round trim piece. Do all the finishing and then install the glass. This would also permit replacing the glass if it were to get broken.

Lew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.