LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okay, I'm clueless on finishes, so this might be a dumb question, but….My parents have a pretty nice outdoor rocker, I think teak, and it's begun to weather a bit. There are a couple small cracks starting in the arms, and it feels rough like the moisture has raised the grain. I'd like to refinish it for protection from the elements, but I'm not sure what to use. I assume I should sand down the raised grain, but after that I'm stumped. I'd like to use something simple and easy, like Danish oil-would that offer enough protection? The chair sits on a covered deck in the summer-it gets quite wet on occasion, but it isn't exposed to a huge amount of sun. What's an easy to apply, somewhat weather-resistant finish?

I've had some misadventures with lacquer and shellac lately, so my biggest criteria is that I DON'T want a finish that I have to rub out. I'd appreciate anyone's input. Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Chris, teak will weather to a nice gray color if left exposed to the elements and it is a good choice for exterior applications. Trying to keep it from going gray is a challenge since you will be fighting Mother Nature. But if you are up to the challenge you are on the right track by sanding the chair and, for a top coat, I would recommend spar varnish. It is designed for outdoor applications. I topcoated our exterior pine doors over twenty years ago with three coats of spar varnish and have had to renew the finish only once in the ensuing time frame.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet, thanks guys! Scott, the weathered gray sounds great, and the lack of effort involved with it, but the cracking on the arms worries me and I want to halt any further damage. These both sound great, but the ease of Penofin sounds awesome, if I can find it locally. If need be, I can always put spar varnish over the top of it. Time to start saving a chair's life….
Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.