LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

FATHER'S DAY

2K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  fge 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL OUR FATHERS

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was. By Anne Sexton

#3 ·
Thanks Cher My Father passed a number of years ago but I still have loving memories of our times together.
And I'm sure I will be hearing from my three sons this weekend. Happy Fathers day to the rest of you great dads.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Cher, Your right it doesn't matter who your father is. Mine was an abusive father and in all reality I should wish him a Happy Fathers Day. Because its made me the father I always wanted, and because of that I have 3 wonderful children and 3 Grand children.
So today we will all get together and celebrate Fathers Day for me here.
The Grandsons helped clean out the stock tank so we can swim this afternoon in these hot temps and have fun all being kids. Then this evening we will cook out when its cooler and everyone is cooled off.
Glad this LJ'er has plenty of shade trees in the yard. LOL
Happy Fathers Day to all the Fathers and Grandfathers out there and to those who want to be fathers.

#10 ·
Thank you Cher.
My father was the epitome of what a father should be. He and my mother had a wonderful marriage and went through some difficult times together. My dad was drafted and posted with an artillery unit in WWII for 6 years. I was only a baby and he only saw me when on leave from the front. He never discussed his wartime service much but kept in touch with his service comrades until his passing. After the war I was 5 years old and I watched my mum and dad struggle to put a home together relying on nobody but their own hard work and efforts, which quite honestly I don't see the modern generation being willing to tackle. I grew up learning many things; how to make good decisions, that nothing was impossible and how to get by without having the right tools to accomplish something, my dad was a genius at "getting by". In my teens I thought my dad was "square" and I sure regret not taking more notice of him during that period. My dad was a task master but a fair man who did not believe in corporal punishment but promoted responsibility and honesty, I miss him, regret that I only really understood all the wisdom of his ways later in life.
I have followed his "style" as much as I can with my own children and grandchildren with variable success, and wished he was here to see that his son had carried on his legacy.
A very good wish for you fathers out there and keep promoting a "decent" way of life and responsibility to your children, and maybe they will know the love a parent has for his children.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Reading all the lovely memories and not so happy, each has to tell about their fathers is very touching, I hope there will be more.
This is what friendship is all about, sharing your lives with the rest of us. I was blessed I had two Fathers and I loved them both. Thanks to all for responding.

#15 ·
Thanks Cher. It's the toughest but best job I ever had. My dad has been gone almost 12 years now. I not only still miss him but, often I find myself thinking I will call or go see him…then reality sets in. He was great. I would love to be in the shop with him again…

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
this is not easy for me , so let's let this healing begin .
the last time i saw my father , i was about 10 , in reno nevada,
grandmother maizzei had taken myself and my sister and little brother for an ice cream in the evening ,
as we were driving home , i saw my father hitchhiking , i shouted "that's ,dad" ! maissei said he was going to lake tahoe to look for work ,but said we didn't need him anymore , he was no good .
later , i ran away from home one night , to go find him ,my friend lived at the edge of town , and i stopped there
and got a sandwich , after dark , his mom was going to come home , he said i better hide , but not in the house
or she would call the police , if she found out what i was doing ,we went out side , it was cold , the only place we could find to hide was in his somewhat new garbage can , i got in , and he closed the lid , i must have sat in there for an hour , getting colder by the minute . i finally got so cold , i needed to get warm somehow , so i got out , the lights were of in the house there , so i went back to the hyway , there was no traffic at all , and i realized that my plan wasn't working , so i turned and went home . when i got there , about 2am , my mother heard me come in , and asked if it was me from her bedroom , i answered yes , she said to call the police , and tell them i was home ,
that she would deal with me in the morning and to go to bed . i got the beating of my life that morning .
i found out at 12 that my father had died in las vegas after he couldn't find work in tahoe . pneumonia alone in a cheap motel.
at twelve we got the news , the stepfather wanted to adopt us he said , and change our name to his , we said no
i was shortly homeless
when i was about 14 , i was hitchhiking in south carolina , a dark night on some long road somewhere ,
the road was up from he swamp and land , no cars , just my walking , feeling my way by the sound and feel of the asphalt and the gravel at the edge . i heard sounds rustleing in the dark , close by , and imagined alligators or some predator out there , and i stated praying "my father , who art in heaven ….......... he must have heard me , i made it to some small town, and went to the police station , and they let me sleep in a cell ,let me go in the morning , as i wasn't vagrant , i had $5 , and told them i lived in florida and was on my way home .
when i was 18 i drove thru las vegas to visit his paupers grave , but the officials had no records , and so i never found his grave .
about 15 years ago , we had a family reunion , my sister , and brother , and half brother ,
i had gotten a hold of his other half brother , they had never met .
after a couple of days , one evening the other half brother said that his mother , on her death bed , said that she thought that my stepfather and mother had conspired to have my father killed , for his veterans pay and us kids money . which they continued to get until us kids were 18 . i never saw a dime , being homeless and all .
thats my father tale , i wish i had had the chance to know him more , and the lords prayer has a special place in my heart , i can talk with him in prayer ,
my daughter is a recovering heroin addict , and doesn't track too good ,lost in a world of yesterday .
my two sons don't talk to me , what ever their mothers told them about me i don't know ,
i don't bother them , i just pray that maybe someday…........................
i am a grandfather for a year now , nothing there either …..................

i have never had the pleasure of fathers day , as i have 3 children , from 3 different mothers ,

to all you fathers , please have a good relationship with your children ,
otherwise it all just keeps revolving in them on to their children too .

THANK YOU CHER , for your kind wishes .

happy fathers day all !

#24 ·
To all the ladies and guys here wishing us Dads well - Thank you, I appreciate it.

To those with fond memories of your Dad - Continue to cherish those times you remember.

To Greg - Your family should be proud that you have taken a negative from your Dad and made it a positive for your family. You can tell them I said so.

David, Patron, Friend. I won't insult you by saying I can imagine what you went through - I can't. But I will say your healing is long overdue, and I'm glad you have the courage to display these wounds to us. Without those wounds you would never have met Suzy & Henry, and you would not have been able to bless them with your support when they needed it. Theirs was a love you cannot buy.

As you say, "life is what we make of it", and I'm sure I speak for many LJ's when I say I'm glad that you are a part of my life even though we may never meet in person. I hope that our presence here, just the other side of your keyboard, will help you to continue the healing process.

To all Dads out there who want to be good fathers (even if you feel you are not succeeding) Keep on trying to be a good Dad and tell them you love them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.