LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello Everyone, wife is needing more space for her sewing so she's moving from the 9×9 bedroom and into the family room. She's requesting a fabric bolt rack that can hold 8 bolts. There's four big bolts for the standard stuff that weigh about 60 lbs each, and 4 smaller ones for the holidays. It should have casters so she can spin it around for the seasonal fabrics. I tried searching online but only found a tubular steel one w/o casters for $250 shipped, can someone point me in the right direction so I can make it myself?

Here's the one I found:
http://warehousefabricsinc.com/fabric-racks.html

Simple is best since I am just getting started in wood with a Bosch 4100 CS and Dewalt miter saw

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hey, Big-T, I wish you were closer to DC, I've got a pattern I made for these,
jumpstands and of course it's never been used again. But I suppose you could make a pair of simmilar "legs" in an A frame style out of plywood and just cut the detents at triangles to hold the bolts with maybe a nylon chair glide nailed into the end to retain the bolt from rolling out. Something like this
Wood Triangle Font Logo Paper product

Of course you may need to buy a jig saw and a few other tools but that's what projects for the wife are all about…. of course I can build that for ya sweetheart,,, just gonna need to get a few tool additions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Id go with two layers of 1/2 to 5/8, ... 3/4 would likely be overkill, but then I also overbuild stuff. Plywood I-beam for the top stretcher and then a torsion box base skinned with 3/8 ply and reinforced in the corners for the casters and you'dbe done…

·
Registered
133 Posts
Id go with two layers of 1/2 to 5/8, ... 3/4 would likely be overkill, but then I also overbuild stuff. Plywood I-beam for the top stretcher and then a torsion box base skinned with 3/8 ply and reinforced in the corners for the casters and you dbe done…

- ChefHDAN
I have no idea what you're talking about… I-beam, Torsion box, what
?
???

I was thinking to just sandwich a 1" ply with a 2" pine and add a 5th wheel in the middle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.