LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Back to Some Woodworking

Hey There Folks,

I mostly goofed around this weekend. So today was fun as I got back into the woodworking. I went to ACME Tools, bought 2 small bits of popular and got to use my Stanley 4 1/2 for something other than making practice shavings. I am pretty fired up.

http://bit.ly/bWQTzY

Brian
I am wishing you would have purchased the 45. Would like to read about you practicing with one of those.
I do enjoy your blogs.
by the way !!!!! In my area we drink soda pop !
Some drink wobbly pop.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Working with my hand planes...

Hello LJ's,

Today's post is much better than the horrible drivel I put up yesterday. I am still practicing dovetails, but the regular readers will be thrilled to know, I didn't talk about them at all in the post. Tonight's post is about my attempt at taking a piece of twisted, rough cut, walnut and making it flat. This is my first try at such a task. Before I started I had a hard time imagining how one would do it. Now I can almost see that it is possible, with much more practice, a great understanding of reading the grain, and lots more practice. The point is that I feel much less confused than I was yesterday. I included a picture with the rough cut board, next to the one I have been working on. It is amazing how much the look of wood changes when the rough face is removed.

http://bit.ly/cS6f2E

Brian
Hey Brian. Thanks for throwing in a little metric for us Canadian woodworking SAPS (PUN). Swirt gave you some good advice on your link. Use a scrub plane, I generally go 45 degree's to the grain, then do another pass 90 degrees to the first pass. This will leave you with a checkerboard pattern of bumps. Take your # 8,#7 or #6 plane and run it with the grain. (These all have long soles to get your board true) A #5 is okay…........Once you have the board to desired thickness, then use your #4 1/2 to smooth it out. Final touch will be your scraper ! Your board will now be smoother than babies bottom.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
The Gang Says "Hi"

Hello All,

Many of the past stars of my blog made cameo appearences tonight. The Twins, Archie The Mallet, and of course, Marey the jig saw, all helped out today. The jig, which is grotesquely over engineered, is comeing along nicely. I also thing that the accompanying narrative is one of my better ones. I hope you all enjoy it.

http://bit.ly/9Jl7df

Brian

p.s. For those who enjoyed the story of "Winston the Camel", I am pleased to announce that Josephine has written the second chapter for her character, and I will be following with more from Winston later in the week.
I must admit. I did not read your blog till this morning. This is good , I needed the sleep. If I would have read this last night I know I would have laid in bed with visions of animated tools working in your shop. The twins, dressed in fatiques ,waiting for there call, Marley. scooting around the wood ,easily cutting through whatever is front of her, THEN "Archie's" moment. "Rocky" music playing, crowd cheering and the bell rings, he strikes precisley. Whoops I am getting carried away, THIS IS YOUR STORY.We shall suggest an animated series in the future. Perhaps called "THE MEEKS GANG"
I will be day dreaming all day.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
I finished my hand planing jig

Hello,

I finished my hand planing jig. It works really well and I like it. The last two nights have been such fun. For the last few weeks I have been focusing on practicing, so it was nice to build something. This is not to say that I don't intend to get back to the dovetail practicing, as I am still a long way from mastering it. But I needed a better way to hold wood for hand planing and this jig will serve me well for a long time.

http://bit.ly/cRJCsP

Brian
I like the boomerang idea and the wedgy. I think I will incorporate them into my bench.
Went to the BIG CITy to have lunch with my wife today. On the way to her work I have to pass the army cadet office. As I drove by 2 female cadets come walking out the door. After writing my comment about your blog this morning, I immediatley said to myself, The twin sawhorses ! I almost peed my pants laughing.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Bargain Woodworking Magazines Rock!

Hello LJ's,

I love reading about woodworking, especially in magazine form. There is a lot online that is great, and goodness knows I read a bunch of blogs and stuff, but it isn't the same as flipping the pages. Tonight's blog is about a nice find of older magazines and how I realized that they are a pretty good deal.

http://extremelyaverage.com/2010/06/bargain-woodworking-magazines-rock/

Brian

http://extremelyaverage.com
My neighbor "GAVE" me 36 magazines on woodworking !(Past 3 years issues) He knew I was interested in woodworking and told me he was going to throw them away. If I wanted them I ould have them. The price was right !
I also found some CD's about building the 1890-1900 homes. These CD's have the floor plans of all the homes that company offered back then. My wife and I are interested in buying an older Victorian home and starting a B&B, so I have been picking up everything I can on OLDER HOMES.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Hand Plane Tribe

Hello LJ's,

What a day! I got a present from a LJ reader of my blog. I didn't know it was coming, he just sent it. The best part is that he just labeled the box Brian Meeks, Martelle, Iowa. No address or p.o. box, but since I live in a town of 280, where everyone knows everyone else, that was plenty. It made me and the post master chuckle.
I received 3 hand planes and a spokeshave, in great condition. So tonight's blog is about my new hand planes that have joined my collection, and of course, there are pictures.

http://su.pr/8iS8CR

Thanks Fellow LJ ( I am not sure if he wants his identity revealed, so for now, I will just say he is one of the great folks who hangs out at LJ)

Brian
Perfect. I knew it would be a good read.
Even if they have NO WORK permit for USA, put them to work. lol

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Hand Plane Tribe

Hello LJ's,

What a day! I got a present from a LJ reader of my blog. I didn't know it was coming, he just sent it. The best part is that he just labeled the box Brian Meeks, Martelle, Iowa. No address or p.o. box, but since I live in a town of 280, where everyone knows everyone else, that was plenty. It made me and the post master chuckle.
I received 3 hand planes and a spokeshave, in great condition. So tonight's blog is about my new hand planes that have joined my collection, and of course, there are pictures.

http://su.pr/8iS8CR

Thanks Fellow LJ ( I am not sure if he wants his identity revealed, so for now, I will just say he is one of the great folks who hangs out at LJ)

Brian
(Just for laughs) So this is what happenined that morning 2 weeks ago. The night before I read the blog about how you have names for your tools. (I chuckle every time) I went into my shop that night and talked to my collection. Who wants to go join the MEEKS gang ? The stanley 78 was the first to come forward. (Knowing they are a dime a dozen and this might be " ITS" only chance to become famous.I say "IT" because the stanley has a spot for placing the blade in either front or back, similar to the Earthworm, this makes me think "IT' might be gender neutral. Next to come forward was the Stanley 45. This was a tougher decision. Since I have so many of them, I waas the one to decide who goes. (Type 1 through 20) Of course I wouldn't let the type 1 go (I don't have one) but if I did it wouldn't go. The type 1 is a show model. This man wants to learn how to use these. If he has a show model it would sit on the shelf like eveyone else's. (Brsides, his blogs are GOOD but not that good …..(Just joking). Type 2,3 and 4 are nice to look at and work with…BUT the adjustment of the blade is harder to do. (No depth wheel YET) So now we are narrowing it down. MY type 20. CANADIAN MADE. and prisitne condition. EVEN I don't use it, take it out of the box with silk gloves on !!!!!!! I could send my "JOHNY CASH CADILLAC special ! Picked it up 1 piece at a time, didn't cost me a dime. Parts from almost every TYPE that was made. (The Meeks gang would laugh if that one showed up) So I chose the one that went, reasonable amount of nickel plating, almost all parts (no cam,sorry !) and 1 set of blades. The stanley 50's didn't want to go, they were all embarrased about how small and light they are, They were concerned that if they went with the few blades I have they would be mocked ! I reassued them that the owner of the "Meeks gang" does his research and he will not let a 50 does what it was not designed to do. So "Wayne" came forward.(Always ready for a game eh!)Last was the Stanley # 80 scraper. An Made in England version. When I picked it off the hanger the first thing I heard "Do they have a PUB in Martelle ?"The English really enjoy there pubs.Next question I heard from # 80 " Bloody L, is he going to use me or will I just hang on the peg like you had me do ? " I thought to myself, you hang on my peg because I really don't think you work that well, I know, its the way I try to burnish your edge, BUT my 112 works a lot better," I couldn't tell him that, so I just said, okay, "Wanker" in the box".
I did have a few jealous planes left behind. A number 6 that really wants to go, a number 71 router with granny tooth and #26 transitional model and a 35 transitional . Maybe one day !

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Charlie Welcomes a New Friend

Hello All,

Tonight I wrote about the little oak and morado box and his new friend. I hope you enjoy it.

http://su.pr/1h5HVu <More talking tiny boxes. :)

Brian
These box stories are great. What I like is "your tools and boxes all offer praise and encouragement for each other".
If we could get the "REAL WORLD " to get along this way--Life would be great wouldn't it ?
(Maybe I just live in a dream world)

· Registered
1,900 Posts
No More Fuzzy Feeling

Hello All,

I wrote a bit of a different blog piece today. I needed to vent a little, so I did. I learned something when I hit publish. I felt much better. I am someone who rarely needs to vent, and when I do, I usually just ignore the impulse and move on. But having a blog to use for this, is actually quite a wonderful thing. When I was done, I didn't feel I needed to vent anymore. So I guess I will sand a tiny box lid! Fun. And watch more football.

http://su.pr/ASH7AW

Brian
Unfortunatly some compaies still think they can operate that way.they use the OPM (other people money)as well as OPT. (other people time).
When you look closely at the CEO's and Board of Directiors (none of them contribute their money or their time for FREE, they expect every one else to.(especially small shareholders that work for them)
It cost me a lot of money and time to learn this lesson !

· Registered
1,900 Posts
My Method

Hello All,

I have been wanting to compile the steps I go through, in creating my tiny boxes. Tonight I finally got it done.

http://bit.ly/aGMa0G

Brian
Great SPM. (standard procedure manual)
Step 5, I literally went to kitchen and got a doughnut (thought it would be better if I was in character while reading )
STEP 14: Does it matter what kind of pizza ? I am not a pizza eater,(something to do with one fateful weekend when I was 17, party in the BIG CITY, don't drink whiskey anymore either !!). I won't let step 14 hinder me from building a box one day.
I never think of taking pictures whilwe building my things. I get so wrapped up in creating, cutting, shaping etc. Last thing I think of is picture. Then Crap, half the time by batteries are dead.
I do appreciate when people do take pics and can write about how the project went.
Thanks.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
I have been Attacked!

Yesterday I started to get messages that my sight was considered a threat to all of humanity. There were scary red letters and I feared the worst.

Apparently somebody, likely a middle aged, socially awkward, virgin, had found my blog and after eating some hot pockets, his chain smoking, raging alcoholic mother had brought down to him in the basement ('Apartment'),and had decided to hack into my blog.

In doing so he has stuck fear into the hearts of my readers. I apologize for the scare and I assure you that I am working diligently to fix the problem. In fact, I have done nothing else since last night. I have a bit of a headache.

My friends on twitter were the ones who helped me figure out what was going on. For at least two hours I searched my computer looking for an answer, as I thought the problem was local. The twitter folks explained that I would need to take down my my blog, back up the data base, delete word press, install word press, and then FTP the data back into the new database. Sounds easy eh?

Actually it didn't sound easy to me at all. There were instructions which the fine folks at Godaddy.com provided and they helped a little. The real help came from the customer service people. They have been great and already spent several hours with me on the phone. If it weren't for them, I would like have taken my own life, so that I might come back as a ghost and haunt the hacker who ruined my life.

So if you tried the blog last night, there was a post, without pictures, as I couldn't upload them. This is the 'Official' post for tonight! I will not let some slovenly loser with questionable personal hygiene ruin my streak of consecutive days of blogging! Ha! Double Ha, Mr. Hacker!

When I get the blog back up, I will fix yesterday's post and add this rant to the mix. Then I will dance…and possibly eat a hot pocket. (I am not sure why I had to drag Hot Pockets into this mess. The fine people at Hot Pockets didn't do anything wrong, and in fact, make a lovely food item.)

If you are a blogger and use WordPress, then you will know that this picture, is NOT how it is supposed to look when an admin logs in. If you ever run into this problem, know this, it can be fixed, it just takes a bit of effort. (Note: I haven't actually completed fixing it yet, so perhaps I am jumping the gun, but I feel confident that the GoDaddy people will be able to help me get the rest of it done.)

Welcome back.
I have more colorful words for those people that hack and cause viruses. Not allowed to print the words !

· Registered
1,900 Posts
I fixed my site

Hello All,

It took all of yesterday and today, but my site has been taken down and put back up. So tonight's blog is more of me cursing the hacker. I feel better now.

The Curse - Extremely Average http://su.pr/1DUzOI

Brian
Those people PISS me off as well. I am under the illusion that the people who MAKE the anti-virus software FOR SALE are also the ones that randomly create these mess'. Can't proove it !

· Registered
1,900 Posts

· Registered
1,900 Posts
A Bit Sickly

Hello All,

I am still under the weather, as is my computer. So I didn't write too much that was interesting tonight. But if you are curious of the specifics of my troubling week, and I can't imagine you would be, you may check out my blog.

http://extremelyaverage.com/2010/10/a-bit-sickly/

Brian
With todays computor technology is is surprising that they still make the same motherboard. You must have a geek that is interested in helping. Most of the time you buy your computor and NEXT day it is obsolete !Best of luck getting it running.

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Still Blogging

Hello All,

The computer seems to be almost fixed….I hope. I am still a few days away from going home and having access to my shop, so my blog continues to be non-woodworking drivel. But some of you like my ramblings, so I thought I would let you know anyway. :)

I did ask a few questions, which I would love some help with.

http://bit.ly/c7Xx3j

Brian
1)no 2)? 3)cheeta 4)no
The only riussian I speak : Vodka !

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Merry Christmas All

Hello All,

I hope everyone is enjoying the day. It was a pretty good year. I discovered two new loves, woodworking and writing. The encouragement from everyone at Lumberjocks has made all the difference. Teh last few weeks have been chaotic, and I have done a terrible job of posting here. For that I am sorry.

I haven't had any time for woodworking, as I have been working every day, but I have still been doing some writing, each night before I hit the sack. I think the last chapter I posted was 21, which must have been 9 days ago, as I have written 9 more since then, I hope you will enjoy them. Now I better get back to writing, so I will have something to post tonight.

http://ExtremelyAverage.com
Season's greetings.
Hoping that "work thing" does get in your way of writing and woodworking too much in 2011 !

· Registered
1,900 Posts
Merry Christmas All

Hello All,

I hope everyone is enjoying the day. It was a pretty good year. I discovered two new loves, woodworking and writing. The encouragement from everyone at Lumberjocks has made all the difference. Teh last few weeks have been chaotic, and I have done a terrible job of posting here. For that I am sorry.

I haven't had any time for woodworking, as I have been working every day, but I have still been doing some writing, each night before I hit the sack. I think the last chapter I posted was 21, which must have been 9 days ago, as I have written 9 more since then, I hope you will enjoy them. Now I better get back to writing, so I will have something to post tonight.

http://ExtremelyAverage.com
I meant to say "does not".
This keyboard of mine. ALL those keys to hit in right order and can only use 2 fingers ?

· Registered
1,900 Posts
A Great Year...Thanks

Hello Everyone,

On Jan 2 of this year, I started blogging. I posted on blogger and here. Because of the wonderful encouragement everyone gave me, I continued woodworking and blogging. Now I can cut dovetails by hand, and they look fair. I am able to make tiny boxes. I am also not afraid to try more and more difficult projects. I also descovered a second love. Of course, I mean that sexy babe writing.

I haven't been doing as much woodworking the last month, mostly because I picked up a lot of holiday hours, and just didn't have time to make sawdust and write. So I have been working on my 2nd novel, Henry Wood: Time and Again. There are 34 chapters up now, totally around 36,000 words. I only need 14,000 more to reach the 50K novel plateau, but I will likely write 30-40 more, as the story is a long ways from setteled. I hope, those who follow it, are enjoying the tale.

Tonight, I wrote a year in review piece, which is much like what I just wrote above, though with a bunch more silliness.

http://su.pr/1aca1y

Thanks Everyone,

Brian
Congrats on your upcoming first year. When you tools started talking, that is what first caught my attention, I enjoy it. Looking forward to the rest of the planes having their own stories this year.
Happy New Year.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.