LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,940 Posts
Five Stages of Tool Assembly Disaster

Hello LJ's,

Tonight I give a better account of my trials and tribulations with getting Jeff, the Powermatic 14" bandsaw, up and running.

The Five Stages of Tool Assembly Disaster http://su.pr/7o2dmQ Enjoy. :)

I hope you enjoy. (Please don't try this at home…I am not endorsing my methodology at all!!!!)

Brian
This is the first time I have seen your blog (I am a bit new here). I really enjoyed it. It is quite entertaining. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Jeff has a good home, it seems. :)

Sheila

· Registered
6,940 Posts
I have been Attacked!

Yesterday I started to get messages that my sight was considered a threat to all of humanity. There were scary red letters and I feared the worst.

Apparently somebody, likely a middle aged, socially awkward, virgin, had found my blog and after eating some hot pockets, his chain smoking, raging alcoholic mother had brought down to him in the basement ('Apartment'),and had decided to hack into my blog.

In doing so he has stuck fear into the hearts of my readers. I apologize for the scare and I assure you that I am working diligently to fix the problem. In fact, I have done nothing else since last night. I have a bit of a headache.

My friends on twitter were the ones who helped me figure out what was going on. For at least two hours I searched my computer looking for an answer, as I thought the problem was local. The twitter folks explained that I would need to take down my my blog, back up the data base, delete word press, install word press, and then FTP the data back into the new database. Sounds easy eh?

Actually it didn't sound easy to me at all. There were instructions which the fine folks at Godaddy.com provided and they helped a little. The real help came from the customer service people. They have been great and already spent several hours with me on the phone. If it weren't for them, I would like have taken my own life, so that I might come back as a ghost and haunt the hacker who ruined my life.

So if you tried the blog last night, there was a post, without pictures, as I couldn't upload them. This is the 'Official' post for tonight! I will not let some slovenly loser with questionable personal hygiene ruin my streak of consecutive days of blogging! Ha! Double Ha, Mr. Hacker!

When I get the blog back up, I will fix yesterday's post and add this rant to the mix. Then I will dance…and possibly eat a hot pocket. (I am not sure why I had to drag Hot Pockets into this mess. The fine people at Hot Pockets didn't do anything wrong, and in fact, make a lovely food item.)

If you are a blogger and use WordPress, then you will know that this picture, is NOT how it is supposed to look when an admin logs in. If you ever run into this problem, know this, it can be fixed, it just takes a bit of effort. (Note: I haven't actually completed fixing it yet, so perhaps I am jumping the gun, but I feel confident that the GoDaddy people will be able to help me get the rest of it done.)

Glad to have you beck Brian! I knew that something was up for sure when I didn't have a notice waiting for me in the morning that your blog was up. What a huge amount of work to fix it too. I am sorry it happened to you. I'm happy to see you kept your streak though! You show um!

Sheila

· Registered
6,940 Posts
Calm and Focus

Hello All,

Today the blog is back to normal (for almost everyone). There was an issue for one of my readers, who has a router which flagged my site last week during the hacking debacle. She has had trouble getting back to my site ans her router continues to block it. If any of you fine LJ folks are having troubles, it may be something similar.

As for writing the blog, it was nice to not be railing against the evil hacker. I am moving on an continuing with my ikebana building. It is fun.

http://extremelyaverage.com/2010/09/calm-and-focus/

Thanks,

Brian
What a horrible thing to happen! I am so sorry to hear that. What the heck is wrong with people anyway? I am sure we will all stay tuned here and wait to see what you will do. You hang in there and we will be watching.

Take care, Sheila

· Registered
6,940 Posts
Hello Long Lost Friends

Hello LJs,

I have not posted in a long long time. I used to post every night, but eventually my blog was no longer about woodworking, just additional chapters of my Henry Wood Detective novels.

Back in October I got a job which required leaving my home. The long commute really shortened my days and I lost my 'Woodworking Time'. I had only enough time to write every day.

On Monday I went to the Woodsmith store and picked up a couple of magazines and a nice piece of cherry. I intend to make a few more tiny boxes to give away to promote the release of my first novel. 'The Henry Wood Detective Agency' got its start right here on Lumberjocks and now I am about to finish up the 3rd in the series. (All three should be released this summer, with at least the 1st one having a print edition.)

I wanted to thank everyone who encouraged me and followed Henry on his adventures. So Thanks. Tonight I wrote a blog post with some of the details about how Henry Wood came about and where he is now, if anyone is interested.

http://extremelyaverage.com/2011/05/story-of-the-writing-of-henry-wood/

Thanks,

Brian

p.s. I will however keep posting anything with woodworking foibles. :) Monday I start my new tiny boxes!
Hi, Brian:
I have also missed your daily postings, although I certainly understand about your time restraints. As I said to you before, I am awaiting publication of your book(s) so that I can follow them in order. I am sure they will be wonderful and I wish you all the success in the world with them. I am happy you are finding some time to do some more woodworking too, as I do enjoy your blogs regarding your journey in learning new techniques.

Happy to see you back here.

Sheila

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.