LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wood Machine tool Creative arts Hardwood Engineering

I picked up this saw yesterday for $100. It's made in Italy, has a 12" blade, a 3 HP 3 phase motor, a track length of about 24". The label has "Steff" and "530" on it, but I can only find auto-feeders made by Steff. When I search for Steff, Maggi pops up a lot, and they have 3 saws, but all are bigger than this one. I don't think I'll have too much trouble getting this thing working. I was just curious if any one else has seen or used a saw like this.

FYI, I plan on using an inverter VFD to drive this. Anyone here operate their 3 phase equipment on these?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
It's a first for me….but the European models didn't make it to states in droves. It doesn't really bear a resemblance to other makes, either. I think it might be fun to tinker with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I have been trying to find any other saw that bear resemblance to this one, but no luck so far. Nevertheless, it should be nice to have given that is has a 12" blade and a 3HP motor.

I am really looking forward to getting the VFD, as I should be able to brake the saw electronically. I have never liked the long spin down time on saws like this (and may table saws), as you really have to be aware of that spinning blade for a while after you made you cut (seems like minutes on my 9" RAS).

I have not decided on what blade to get, but I am leaning towards a Ridge Carbide 12" 100 tooth blade, as I will use this for cross cuts and dados, and that blade should have some flat bottom teeth to get a smooth dado cut.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I've never heard of one, but man am I jealous.

If you contact a member named Loren on here he may know a little about it. He knows quite a bit about European machinery and if not may now someone who does.

You can't get any sliding miter saws that crosscut 24 inches. I'm sure that will be a great user in the shop. Congrats and for a 100 bucks I would say that you suck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.