LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using Evaporust for some time to clean some old planes, and the stuff is simply awesome. I have two heavily rusted bit braces that I would like to dip, but I am concerned that the water based Evaporust will damage the wood handles. Has anyone done this? Any tips to offer or add?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to remove any wood before dipping in the Evapo-Rust. The wood could also darken or stain and also swell up.

You can also wax the wooden parts and then soak some rags in the Evapo-Rust and then wrap them over al of the metal parts. Then wrap the rags with cellophane to keep them wet. Leave this set for a day and then clean up the tool. It should get most of the metal clean. You can repeat this step if necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.