LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey friends,
My name is Josh I am new to this forum and new to woodworking at home. I used to work in cabinetry for many years until I switched trades and now do electric motor repair, I have recently turned my 400 SF garage into a woodshop and am in my first stages of buying equipment this evening I had a chance to go look at a craftsman 12" bandsaw/sander and a craftsman 15.5" drill press they are in great clean condition the guy is firm on $275 what are your thoughts and experience with either of the craftsman machines I know their new stuff isn't the greatest but their older products were good machines. Thanks for having me part of the forum!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
The drill press plays to pretty good reviews on other forums. They made it for a long time. I am assuming this is a floor model. It seems to be worth about $125, according to what others have paid in the last year or so.

The bandsaw/sander, on the other hand, not so much. I don't know if you can still get the sanding strips, or whatever they call them. And otherwise it is a small bodied 1/2 Hp bandsaw, decent for small stuff, but very limited. You can buy one on eBay right now for $89.99. That makes your drill press $175, way too much in my mind.

As a disclaimer, most people on here who know me also know I am no fan of Craftsman…

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the advice, right now the bandsaws in the Oregon location are going for $75-150 and the closest thing to the drill press I'm looking for is the 8" bench top and they are in the $90-100 range, the one I looked at was a 15 1/2" floor standing press. Most of the equipment on CL is in bad cosmetic condition with some rust. These are just machines I'm going to start out on and get a feel for and learn how to use the bandsaw, I did cabinetry for some time soley face frames, I loved that job working around all the saws and screwing frames together so this whole new woodworkibg at home is starting to be another realm I'm realizing. Also he's throwing in 6" bench grinder, 2 sets of extra blades new, 1 new sanding strip, the bandsaw comes with miter gauge and a hokey fence but it will work, wood working project book but not vise for the press, thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
As a disclaimer, most people on here who know me also know I am no fan of Craftsman…

- Tennessee
Me neither to be honest with you I like to buy good stuff that will last a long time just figured for the price of $275 it's s good beginner package also my grandpa is giving me a really clean craftsman scroll saw for free so I mentally think wow look at what I got this week for this $ amount, I have lots of face Frame experience, lots of experiece building benches ect but the fine woodworking I'm starting to realize is nothing like FF it will take alot of patience and dedication on my part but I LOVE it, just started a month ago at home here is a few pics of what I have so far.. Just got the miter 2 weeks ago love it and picked up the Rockwell model 10 about a month ago and upgraded to the Incra
Table Wood Workbench Floor Tool

Miter saw Saw Mitre saws Automotive design Abrasive saw

Table Pneumatic tool Drill Tool Power tool

Attachments

·
Banned
428 Posts
As far as drill presses I find it hard to beat the Porter Cable at LOWES. My GF got me one for Xmas. For $319 I don't thing you can beat it NEW.

For one the spindle travel is just shy of four inches. Try finding that with any other DP for under $500.

I aint used it for boring holes in anything yet but if you put a 1 1/s inch spade bit on it it makes a killer Margarita

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.