LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  lightweightladylefty 
#1 ·
Cleaning the plaster

Couple months ago Patrick acquired a console table which gilding rather than being repaired was plastered over.

The first thing I tried was to clean the plaster to save the original surface

Wood Engineering Machine Beam Metal

The back feet were easy to clean as the plaster was water based and the decoration was oil based stencil

Hand Wood Gas Machine Metal

We tried to take of the plaster with tools without damaging the glod, the plaster being water base and the gold also, water gilding.

Metal Auto part Wood Bumper Automotive wheel system

We discover the lower part was verdigris, as they say here for "vert de gris" the color of oxidized bronze or copper.

Wood Artifact Art Sculpture Door

But it appeared the under surface was to damaged, I will have to remove everything to the gesso, whiting. Damn the plaster guy

Wood Wood stain Table Hardwood Artifact

Wood Sculpture Art Artifact Statue

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Cleaning the plaster

Couple months ago Patrick acquired a console table which gilding rather than being repaired was plastered over.

The back feet were easy to clean as the plaster was water based and the decoration was oil based stencil

We tried to take of the plaster with tools without damaging the glod, the plaster being water base and the gold also, water gilding.

We discover the lower part was verdigris, as they say here for "vert de gris" the color of oxidized bronze or copper.

But it appeared the under surface was to damaged, I will have to remove everything to the gesso, whiting. Damn the plaster guy

Patrice,

We don't quite understand why someone would plaster over that. Was it a fad to do many, many years ago . . . sort of like the ugly "antiquing" that was done over beautiful furniture back in the 1960s?

We're certain the table will be back to "gorgeous" once you're done with it.

L/W

Attachments

#3 ·
Cleaning the plaster

Very interesting restoration techiniques!

Attachments

#4 ·
Whiting - Gesso, Clay

This week, I am back on the Empire console table gilding, and after cleaning everyting to the gesso, I started to rebuild it.

Chair Gas Wood Plastic bag Plastic wrap

After couple layers I did some recutting of the gesso to make it sharper with improvised recutting tools.

White Petal Gesture Art Sculpture

Flower Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Tints and shades

First layer of clay is yellow, be sure there is no white left

Gas Plastic wrap Plastic Chair Glass

Then as I found during the stripping process the clay was gray as often in american gilt piece.

Wood Chair Fun Event Plastic wrap

Notice that I leaved the yellow in the recess, as it will hide the possible cracks in the gold.

Wood Pattern Art Metal Hardwood

Attachments

#5 ·
Whiting - Gesso, Clay

This week, I am back on the Empire console table gilding, and after cleaning everyting to the gesso, I started to rebuild it.

After couple layers I did some recutting of the gesso to make it sharper with improvised recutting tools.

Then as I found during the stripping process the clay was gray as often in american gilt piece.

Notice that I leaved the yellow in the recess, as it will hide the possible cracks in the gold.

Patrice,

Another labor of love!

L/W

Attachments

#6 ·
Whiting - Gesso, Clay

This will be fun to watch.

Thanks Patrice.

Attachments

#8 ·
Finishing up the console table

So I am finally done with the console table. Here were the last days of work

After water gilding, like usual burnishing, sorry about the quality of the picture

Hand Gold Sculpture Metal Door handle

Instacoll on the capitals as I could not water gilt them without flooding the original finish. It is a bit like oil gilding, but has the shine of water gilding.

Bottle Liquid Fluid Glass bottle Cosmetics

Green clays on the feet, light layers then darker and darker to create an effect with some wear.

Wood Event Holy places Room Temple

A little extra wear then some repair to get the right feeling of an old gilded surfaced repaired, and patina on top of that

Art Flooring Metal Event Human leg

Cleaning of the original finish showed a very nice almost undamaged surface

Furniture Table Wood Floor Coffee table

When i am done I look at the before picture, and today I am happy

Wood Religious item Artifact Art Metal

We will have professional picture taken at on point and I will post them.

Thanks for following that thread

Attachments

#9 ·
Finishing up the console table

So I am finally done with the console table. Here were the last days of work

After water gilding, like usual burnishing, sorry about the quality of the picture

Hand Gold Sculpture Metal Door handle

Instacoll on the capitals as I could not water gilt them without flooding the original finish. It is a bit like oil gilding, but has the shine of water gilding.

Bottle Liquid Fluid Glass bottle Cosmetics

Green clays on the feet, light layers then darker and darker to create an effect with some wear.

Wood Event Holy places Room Temple

A little extra wear then some repair to get the right feeling of an old gilded surfaced repaired, and patina on top of that

Art Flooring Metal Event Human leg

Cleaning of the original finish showed a very nice almost undamaged surface

Furniture Table Wood Floor Coffee table

When i am done I look at the before picture, and today I am happy

Wood Religious item Artifact Art Metal

We will have professional picture taken at on point and I will post them.

Thanks for following that thread
Great work Patrice, its hard to believe its the same piece as the before picture you posted!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.