LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What it does

Have you ever glued up a top and had one board stick up a little
out toward the center where you can not put a clamp ?
it puts a dowel or dowels in the same spot on both or
more so if there is a small difference in the boards that
will go to the down side of the table top so there is
not a lot of scraping and sanding .

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
I've been gluing up table tops for years without any connectors, I agree with the Ed glue is plenty strong enough without dowels ,this just adds extra unnecessary work and cost.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Dominoes, buscuits, now using a mortiser and dowels. Your best bet is to use cauls and good techniques to acheive a flat glue up. The mortiser might work well for smaller glueups but i would think it would be combersome for larger glueups.
I don't use any alignment tecniques except for cauls and clamps but if you need them to get it flat then l say use them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont why you would want to but you can put mortises,
edge to edge on a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood together using
loose tenons as one edge always stays the same

Mortisepropluse.com

·
Registered
426 Posts
The above notes re: cauls are correct. Using cauls properly will align the parts during glue-up and put pressure across the entire length. Using biscuits and loose tenons to keep parts that are not well squared aligned will usually eventually fail as the wood's memory is very strong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.