LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm working on making a branding iron, and I pulled out a cutoff glue-up of Walnut & Cherry to test the branding iron on. I would have used Titebond, but I'm not sure if it was I/II/III as I made this as a test piece several months ago.

Problem: When I branded across the glue joint, a gap appeared between the walnut & cherry. It's small, but large enough to put a utility knife blade into. I tested a few more times, and sure enough, a gap appears when branding across a joint.

Now, the easy solution is to avoid branding across 2 woods. But, I wouldn't have imagined this being a problem, so I'm curious if it's my branding technique or a problem with my joint. Perhaps I need to get the branding iron way hotter, so it doesn't have to sit on the wood as long.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Its the heat. A gent posted a table he made to hold his laptop on LJ a few days back. the exhaust blowing on the table top caused a slight gap. Brand on a single board.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.