LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Rusty

You will be spending about $30 to $60 per pound for it. It is way up there in price.

I have used before Black Walnut and used Vinegar and steel wool mix to get it pretty black.

You can also get some Maple and put some black Dye or Ink and let it soak in.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I get mine here, http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/
I think you are looking for Gabon Ebony, as Macassar Ebony has the brown streaks in it.
I have no problems whatsoever working it, however it does play hell on your drum sanding belt, especially the Macassar.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I don't find ebony hard to turn or work with.I only ever use it to accentuate some of my pieces and yes it is very expensive. In Glasgow there is a yearly woodworking show in a large Arena everyone who is selling woodworking machinery wood and all other items go there,I saw someone selling ebony which although not cheap was reasonably priced in small bundles.Unfortunately on closer inspection none of it was lovely pure dark or black ebony.Iit was all cut into smallish lengths with a lot of sapwood included which I could see no point in buying has anyone here found that too? Alistair

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Can't let you have it, but this ebony mallet cost me about $5.00 (not counting the plane ticket). Weighs a ton.

Wood Floor Automotive tire Gas Flooring

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Richard. How much ebony do you need?

- ErikF
Guys I will review the leads and the dying process (may go that wrought if I can't find something). Erick,The project list states one piece at 1'' x 4'' x 24'' As it's for making strips that will go around a small box.

Thanks Richard

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far in looking on some of the sites I am having a hard time finding the size I needed
(1'' x 4'' x 24'') but BHE International does have the size I am looking for (the only one)
Thanks Ingir

Bob thanks for the lead as well I will check with both suppliers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.