LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Been making a lot of cutting boards for lately and yesterday I have started having major problems with the DW734 not planing even. Seems to be about a .03 difference from one end to another. I spent some time adjusting the in and out feeds and still have the problem. Any one else have this problem? I am real close to buy another machine and use this one to get the wood close and better one to finish it off. I am looking at the DW735 and wonder if it would be much better? Kind of in a bind as I have several boards that I need done by Tuesday.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles this close to your deadline. Is the difference occurring gradually along the entire length or is it the result of sniping and just occurring 1-2" from one of the ends. If the result of snipe, can you make your boards a little longer and then just cut off the end?
Another thought since you are this close to your deadline, perhaps there is another LJ in your area who would allow you to use their planer or drum sander.
Speaking of drum sander, if you are willing to spring for a new tool, you might consider a drum sander to finish them off.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well after not being able to fix the 734 bought a 735 today, Put it on my mobile table the old was on, built some feed tables on both ends and fired it up. Cuts like butter and all is good in the cutting board world.

·
Registered
291 Posts
bigblock, I have not had time to figure it out, I did you use to rough out some walnut and maple yesterday then finish with the 735

alittleoff, I feel certain you will be happy with it !

crack, it seems to be towards the back and have about .025 dip , hard to figure how. I messed a little with it and the front roller is not giving pressure with a straight edge when the back one is, but that might be how it should be?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds like it might me snipe to me. Not seeing the board can't be sure. To keep the dip out you can run a short scrap butted up behind your work piece.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Your last post triggered a thought-almost sounds like either a sticky table, dull (or dulling) knives, or a combination of the two. Basically pretty simple machines, if it's a little divot toward the outfeed end, means it's feeding most of the way. Stop or drastically slow the feed for a few seconds-and you get that. Doesn't take much sap on the 734 table to do that. (first-hand experience on a 733 doing that). Might be worth a look.

Dull knives behaved that way at times as well-i don't understand the physics in that, so i can't offer an explation. Just seems like they drag.
earl

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use paste wax on the table quite frequently and blades are very new but I had 2 or 3 kickbacks that might have ruined the blades. I have set and reset the tables but maybe still not getting them correct. When I get a chance I will look at the blades and the rollers and clean every thing.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Waxing is good, but I find I have to clean the table with MS or naptha to get all the sap off. I've had similar issues with a DW735 and it was a dirty table. Yet to have the feed rollers cause an issue.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I was reading this because I have a 734. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had or heard of kickbacks on a planer? (two comments back). Are you planing endgrain?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.