LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the small Dust Deputy and for a while it was working great. I have it set up with my Kobalt shop vac and a metal trash can with a fitted MDF top. For a while, this worked fine. Recently, I noticed that about half of what I suck up is getting passed to the shop vac. I have no idea what has changed. I noticed that most of the debris seems to just spin around and around, without moving down. I'm pretty sure as it spins and stays towards the top, it's gradually getting sucked up through the top.

I was considering buying the larger Dust Deputy for my Grizzly dust collector, but now I'm not sure I want to spend the money.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I had a similar situation and couldn't figure it out but I was thinking

there's a gap some where around the top of the DD lid so I made

a plywood top to keep it from flexing. The bolts were long enough

and 1/2 plywood was used. Worked better after that.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My original setup with the DD was with a Lowe's bucket and the snap-on lid. It seemed to work ok, but I filled it up fast. In that case, I didn't even bother to seal the DD with the lid. I just used bolts all the way around with washers. When I went to the metal trash can, I couldn't use the stock lid because it's domed and has a handle in the middle. Instead I cut a disk from MDF and rabbeted the edge all the way around to fit in the top of the can tight. It's tight enough that I have to pry it off. Also, when I put the DD on, I cut a felt pad to go between the mounting flange and the MDF top to ensure it was air tight. Not sure where my leak could be.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Those seams need to be taped (foil tape, not duct tape)....they are seldom air tight from the factory. That includes the one around the bottom. You can test this without taping it. Put a plastic trash bag liner in it, being sure to put some weight in the bottom to keep it from being sucked into the ducting. Try it out and see what happens. That trash bag need to extend over the lip of the can, and be sealed by the top.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those seams need to be taped (foil tape, not duct tape)....they are seldom air tight from the factory. That includes the one around the bottom. You can test this without taping it. Put a plastic trash bag liner in it, being sure to put some weight in the bottom to keep it from being sucked into the ducting. Try it out and see what happens. That trash bag need to extend over the lip of the can, and be sealed by the top.
OK, I'll go back and tape the seams. Maybe they are opening up slightly, where I can't see and causing air to leak in. I can tell you that when I have it on, I can put my hand over the hose and the trash can flexes, trying to collapse on it'self. I know that is a drastic difference from open nozzle to complete blockage, but you would think that it wouldn't be that noticeable with a small leak.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
It only takes the tiniest of leaks to allow debris past the separator. It's possible the can was relatively tight at first, and opened up a little with the stress the DC imposed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It only takes the tiniest of leaks to allow debris past the separator. It s possible the can was relatively tight at first, and opened up a little with the stress the DC imposed.
Good point! I'm running to Lowe's after work to pick up some foil tape. I think I can get foil tape in the HVAC section for duct work…but not duct tape :eek:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I understand leaks. My cyclone was filling the filter with dust, and I found a gap between the blower and the cyclone. It had a gasket, but the top of the cyclone was light weight metal, and it just bowed apart and blew out. I took it apart, cleaned it up and put a big bead of silicone between the joint, and let it dry before using it again. Amazing difference. Now my drum is packed full, and hardly anything goes into the filter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ve had similar problems where it worked great one day and then the next day my shop vac was full of debris.
This is exactly what happened to me. It even worked perfectly after I switched over to the big metal trash can, with nothing more than the MDF lid that I made for the cyclone to bolt to.

So over the weekend I bought some foil tape and sealed every seam on the trash can. I made sure every hole, including the little holes where the handle brackets come through were sealed. Cleaned out both the can and shop vac. I fully cleaned the filter and then put it all back together in normal configuration. I sucked up all of the shavings and dust that was in both sections. I opened it up to find about 10% in the can and easily 90% (vast majority) in the shop vac. I just don't get it!

My hoses are all almost new, no cracks or splits. Everything else seems to be in good shape. When I installed the cyclone on the MDF top, I took felt, cut out a ring for a gasket and even took the time to punch holes for the bolts. It's bolted down tight, no air is getting in or out through the flange.

I noticed that when I have it running and sucking up moderate amounts of dust, they go into the cyclone and instead of working their way down and out, they just spin around in the cyclone. A very little seems to make it's way out, but apparently most of it is being sucked right up through the top port, into the shop vac.

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
Is there any difference in the dust you are making. I've noticed that more of the shaving from the planer make it to the shop vac than other types of dust. I think it also depended on how thick of a pass I was making with the planer. I think the very thin shavings from the planer have a lot of surface area compared to their weight and tend to go right to the vac.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forgot to mention that was a test I did. In the past, with the planer and jointer, I could run either one into the cyclone and had a very minimal amount of shavings passed to the vac. The rest is somewhat fine dust from sanding and table saw. I ran both the jointer and planer and it all ended up in the vac. After that, I did all of the foil sealing. When I took that same debris and ran it though for the test, almost 90-59% ended up in the vac, again.

I'm ready to mount the cyclone back on the old bucket lid and try that, to see if I can get back to the performance I had before. The puzzling thing is after I built the MDF lid for the new can, it worked great for several weeks, without a problem. This was overnight that it started acting like this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.