LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51,858 Posts
I was just wondering what everyone uses to remove dust from your projects before finishing. I have tried vacuuming, tack cloth, and dampended rag with mineral spirits. I dont paticular like the tack cloth alone since it takes a lot of them if the project is big. I dont think vacuuming gets all of the dust. I tend to use the vac, then the rag with mineral spirits.

Thoughts??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I really avoid having highly combustable solvents and rags in the shop. One trip down Murphy's Law Lane is all it takes.

Usually my Fein Turbo II vac with the dusting brush is all I need. A damp rag will remove dust and also raise the "whiskers" which can then be removed with a light sanding of 220 or 320.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Greetings Wayne…. First off, I don't like tack cloths… they just don't cut it with me. I blow all the dust off with the air hose ,use the duster attachnemt on my shop vac , then wipe it down with a damp cloth with mineral spirits. If it's not too bad, then just wipe it with a damp rag of water. I like the m.s. best, though.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
I am with you, Wayne. I use my shop vac to pull the dust from the corners and wipe it down with mineral spirits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So, I may just not empty my tank enough but the Air Compr. also tosses a lot of moisture onto your project, again with the "whiskers"
Vacuum a soft bristle scrub brush & Chammie cloth together and a soft bristles brush (barbers brush works great) for corners while you vacuum.
Should work as long as you have good dust control for your vacuum and it isn't just putting more dust on your project.

·
Registered
51,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the comments folks. I like the idea of using the air compressor, but I think I would want to do that outside so the dust doesnt blow arouind in the shop. The snow is knee deep so I will have to resort to the vac and damp cloth. I was hoping maybe someone knew of a dustless sander or saw that I could
use. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm a little weary of mineral spirits from the standpoint of bad fumes and combustion so I've never done that.

I've always just used an old cut up tee shirt- and I'm not sure I know what I'm missing (whether that is a good thing or a bad thing- I'm ignorant of the difference).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey Greg, I have used the microfiber cloths once or twice, but they didn't "feel right," almost like they were tearing as I was wiping the wood with them. I really like the idea of the microfiber cloths, but I'm not sold on them yet. What is your procedure prior to using them? Any other special prep? I may just be a little insane on this one. . . .

David

·
Registered
18,205 Posts
I do the same Blow off, tack cloth, wipe with mineral spirts ect ect But one thing I always do after using steel wool is blow it off then use a big magnet over it and it always amazes me how much is on the magnet.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I also get the same "tearing feeling" from the microfiber cloths and confess it takes some getting used to. It seems that feeling comes from the fibers catching any remaining raised grain. In the end though I've some to see this as a good thing. I sand to 220 grit then vac and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Then I sand again with 300 grit to remove the remaining raised grain. Vac and wipe again. As I progress through this procedure, the tearing feeling diminishes each time. The extra smoothing of the wood prior to finishing really pays off if you're trying to get that glass smooth gloss finish.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.