LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading as many posts as I can to figure out a dust solution for my shop. I should say that I do not plan on buying a dust collection system, I will be using a shopvac with a dust cyclone setup. I am also considering getting a wall mount shop vac, but I digress. My question is can I mount the cyclone beneath the shop vac? All the pictures have it above or next to the shop vac. If I do get a wall mount then below would work better for me. The other question is HD has their version of the cyclone, its a Dustopper High Efficiency Cyclonic Dust Separator, 12 in. Dia with 2.5 in. hose, 36 in. long, with 2 Sweep Elbows HD12A - The Home Depot Has anyone bought or used this? I just like the low profile of this, i have no idea if its functional. Last question is how much hose/distance can the shop vac and cyclone have between them and still provide adequate suction? My dust control needs are a table saw and general shop clean up, mostly Im tired of having a clogged filter on my shop vac.

· Registered
291 Posts
I run the home depot dust stopper and it works ok. I had to use some weatherstripping material under the lid to get it to seal better. I use the shop vac on my handheld tools and my miter saw. I have a full size collector for the table saw. My shop vac hose is around 20ft at full length and seems to work just fine. I only have about 3 ft of hose between the vac and dust stopper. One bit of advice, even with the dustopper run a bag inside the shop vac. The filter will last way longer

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run the home depot dust stopper and it works ok. I had to use some weatherstripping material under the lid to get it to seal better. I use the shop vac on my handheld tools and my miter saw. I have a full size collector for the table saw. My shop vac hose is around 20ft at full length and seems to work just fine. I only have about 3 ft of hose between the vac and dust stopper. One bit of advice, even with the dustopper run a bag inside the shop vac. The filter will last way longer
A bag, where?

· Registered
2,227 Posts
We used to run two Rigid shop vacs on the CNC routers. 30 gallon bin with a dust deputy on the bottom and the shop vac sitting just above on a shelf. Any amount of flex hose between the vac and cyclone will create a loss of suction but the 2-3 or so feet we used didn't cause a noticeable drop. Just position the vacuum where it's convenient and cut the minimal length of hose needed to make the connection.

Nowadays we build our own vacuums and do a direct connection between the cyclone and the vac chamber. Shop vac companies tend to use proprietary motors and it's usually not easy to replace them or the brushes. Custom vacuums are easier to service and they're better designed for stationary use.

· Registered
6,246 Posts
I bought the HD dust stopper cyclone for it's low profile height, to use under large Horror Freight media blast cabinet. It just fits. :)
It does a decent separation job. All I find in shop vac is talcum powder sized dust. The captured glass beads are easily recycled into cabinet.
Can comment that like any cyclone, the input line needs to be smooth straight pipe feeding the cyclone head for at least 3-4 diameters of inlet size, or separation is woefully degraded.
Never used the HD dust stopper on wood dust, as I have larger DC for my wood working tools.

When using shop vac with ROS sanding, use a fine dust filter bag inside the vacuum canister.
I refuse to add a cyclone and extra hoses tho shop vac for sanding dust; as filter bag performs same function, and takes up ZERO additional space.
Using a shop vac with a mini cyclone on larger tools seems silly to me, as a jointer or planer will fill a 5 gal bucket in a only a few minutes. Even my router will fill my shop vac canister in 20 minutes, and I don't want to be emptying a dust bucket that often.
YMMV

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We used to run two Rigid shop vacs on the CNC routers. 30 gallon bin with a dust deputy on the bottom and the shop vac sitting just above on a shelf. Any amount of flex hose between the vac and cyclone will create a loss of suction but the 2-3 or so feet we used didn't cause a noticeable drop. Just position the vacuum where it's convenient and cut the minimal length of hose needed to make the connection.

Nowadays we build our own vacuums and do a direct connection between the cyclone and the vac chamber. Shop vac companies tend to use proprietary motors and it's usually not easy to replace them or the brushes. Custom vacuums are easier to service and they're better designed for stationary use.
Thank you, that's what I was looking for!

· Registered
273 Posts
I believe there is some side by side testing on Youtube, comparing Oneida, Harbor Freight knock off, and the HD unit.
As I recall, the Dustopper trailed slightly but still pretty good.

I rigged up a HF one specifically for surfacing salvaged lumber with a power plane. A bit of a pain, but does the job to contain the mess when removing painted or stained surface.

· Registered
808 Posts
I think the dust deputy far outperform the low profile version style as you linked. I have a Rockler Dust right with a shop vac and I have used the dust topper (for a little over a week) but not close to the dust deputy in terms of getting solids into the bucket versus into the vacuum bag. If low profile is the deciding factor then the Dust deputy is out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts