LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
9,136 Posts
The need for change

For some reason I have had a problem lately with the bags on my dust collector (DC) coming off during use.
Needless to say it made quite a mess. It seemed that I couldn't get the cloth belts that held the bags
on any tighter. My first thought was to get a canister as a retrofit, but about 10 years ago the DC I
bought was a generic brand. A Reliant. So nothing I found would fit it.

Here's my current system:



So I figured that I needed to look into a better system for attaching the bags. I e-mailed Grizzly (since I had heard on this site that they had great customer service) and gave them the specs (Diameter and Circumfrence of my DC's middle section) and asked them if their metal band they use for theirs would fit mind and if it were available separately. I got a yes on both accounts, so for $13.99 US I bought 2.

Well, it turns out they were too big. I ended up cutting them in half and pop-riviting it back together to
the correct size. It worked perfectly. It was a good temporary solution, because I still wanted a canister type
filter. I have heard that they work so much better.

So I started looking for a new DC system. I wanted a 2HP system like I already had since it worked
perfectly for my size shop. They all seemed to go for between $450 and $500 US with shipping. A little
more then I wanted to spend. Then I found exactly what I was looking for. A retfro-fit kit that included
the metal middle section with the canister so I knew for a fact theat they will fit. $258 US delivered.

This is the canister section:


I should take delivery later next week so I will post more pictures and show the installation.
I'm waiting for the final solution, Gary. I have a Grizzly Vac and was wanting to find out if their canister fits the model that I have.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,136 Posts
The final solution - completed.

Well, this is the second and final part of my dust collector retro-fit.

Here you can see the two boxed as I recieved them:
.

.

Here they are unpacked and stacked. I removed the Dust Dog label. I figured that it didn't do anything but restrict air flow. It came off easily
.

.

Here you can see the handle that created some confusion in the first part of this blog.
.

.

As the handle is rotated it makes these "paddles" brush against the pleats of the filter
knocking off the dust into the bottom bag.

.

.

There is a difference in the middle section. First of all it's a larger diameter, plus it doesn't have the corkscrew like the old one.
.

.

Since this is not a Jet dust collector I am retro-fitting I had to add 2 new holes on each side

.

.

Here it is completed minus the lower bag and canister mounted. Took a total of about 1/2 an hour to get to this point. The green tape is on the inside and outside to seal up the unused holes.

.

.

Here it is all completed and in place
.

.
.

There were a few other issues. The old lower bag could not be used since the diameter is larger and it doesn't have the lip (in the lower part of the middle drum) to to retain it using the strap.

It came with 5 heavy gauge plastic bags and a band that fits on the inside on the drum instead of the outside. Interesting design and kind of a pain to install the bag but I guess I'll get used to it.
I hate the idea of having to keep buying expensive plastic bags so I will work something out to eliminate that need.

My cloth bag does fit on the inside diameter so I'll figure out something.

All in all it was a simple and less expensive way to move up to a canister filter vs buying an entire new system.
Looks great Gary. I think 'll do something like that with my Grizzly. I want to see if their canister fits my collector.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top