LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey guys, I live in a wooded area and thought about removing the top bag of my dust collector and maybe using a cone to go down to an 8 or 6 inch pipe that I could run out the back side of my shop out in the woods. Any ideas good or bad? Looking for any and all input. Thanks in advance, BTW I have the 2hp Harbor Frieght unit

·
Registered
328 Posts
not really, instead of using the top bag for the fine dust, just blowing them right out the back of the shop out into the woods. That or may just take the outlet of the fan and pipe it straight out the back, but would like to maybe catch the larger chips first.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Why not just lose the inlet ring all together? Just run a pre separator like my Thien cyclone separator, then your impeller housing, and instead of piping to an inlet ring and bag, just take the house out the side wall of the shop? I am in an HOA controlled community so that wouldn't work for me, but if you can get away with it, why not?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Do you want the chips and sawdust out there?. It may end up looking like an old rusting car, if you know what I mean. Check out dbHost's stuff about a preseparator in his projects, then you might blow the rest out…........

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thats what I do. I have mine piped up into the attic, then outside. There is not much dust to speak of that collects at the end of the pipe. The breeze takes care of a lot of it and the lawn mower scatters whats left.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
i live in the country and took my bag off the day i bought my dc..it will increase the amount of suction for your system and you wont have to empty the bag anymore…i put a yconnection on the outside with a 12"extentsion…so it blew it away from the shop….you dont want to attract termites close to your shop…if you garden , you can shovel it up after awhile..it will have composted and will be good for potting soil or the garden..but you have to allow it to break down for some time..or it would be to acidic…but i would if i were you…that is remove the bag…...

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
the dc i have is a delta…it sits on top of a 55 gallon plastic barrel..that i have on casters…the dc comes off the top…and i roll out the drum and dump the larger stuff into a pile…i have friends who come for it and use for composting…...

·
Registered
76 Posts
The most important thing to consider when venting outside is the negative air pressure the DC can create. If you have a chimney that vents your furnace and/or hot water heater or a wood stove, the DC can pull air back down your chimney. That could be bad. If you have a window or door you can open while venting the dust outside you should be okay.

Other than that, I'd try to pipe it as far from the house as you could, you don't want the fine particulate blowing back in open windows in nice weather either.

If you do decide to vent outside with no bag, you should see an increase in the volume of air that the DC can move.

The Thein Cyclone separator lid is the way to go in my opinion. Like dbhost said, if you make one, you could eliminate the inlet ring and collection bag and run the outlet of the impeller housing directly outside, all while improving the efficiency of the entire system. AND, you'll never have to buy bags again!

Good luck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had thought about doing it that way, and probly will. As far as bugs and things the wood come right up to my shop any way and I was thinking of piping it atleast 20 foot out into the woods. Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
You don't have to worry about pumping all of your heat outdoors, like here in MN.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I exhaust my dust collection outside with no problems. I am fortunate enough to be somewhat isolated with no city, town, HOA to deal with. I just built a cabinet on outside wall to house motor and then use a dryer vent on exhaust port. When planing it throws sawdust about ten feet. Keeps the shop quiet too. Every few months I give a neighbor down the road a bag of sawdust to mulch in with her roses as it helh the soil retain water during the hot summer months. Beaware that I only run the DC when the tolls are runnig during the winter as to not exhaust to much of valuable shop heat outside. A switch on inside wall turns power on to an GFI protected out located inside cabinet. No termite worrys here in Colorado.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the suggestion every one, Ive started on my plan… built the Thein Cyclone separator lid for a plastic 55 gallon drum that I have and must say that it is incredible. I plan on posting pics of the system when I have completed it all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.