LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
Running out of room in garage workshop, so am thinking of getting http://www.busybeetools.com/products/dust-collector-2hp-w-canister-csa.html a dust collector and putting it in the attic. I have a set of pull down stairs that give fairly easy access to the attic and there is plenty of headroom there. I am wondering if the cold winter weather (down to -40) here in northern British Columbia would cause problems with the unit. Ducting could come directly off the DC through the ceiling and then be short runs to the tools. Thoughts and suggestion??

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
You will get a lot of dust in your attic doing that. Fire danger. I thought of doing that but decided to put it just outside my shop in a weather proof closet I made for it.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim, that is another way. Is the one micron upper bag necessary if the unit is outside. Did you put any heat in the closet or is it enough to just keep the rain and snow off.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Don't forget that any warm air leaving your shop through the DC will be replaced by not so warm air from outside your shop.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you vent outside, then you need a way to let air in to replace what you're blowing out. That likely means you'll be bringing in outside air, and dumping all your heated air outside. That's not good if it's -40 outside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As one of those who exhausts his DC directly through the wall, I can report that I have not noticed much of an issue in temperature or drafts from running the DC this winter. I won't say that there is no effect from "replacement air", just that there isn't enough of an effect that it could ever constitute enough to make me alter my design. Too many other issues would be higher on the dust collection list.

Of course, I'm in NC. Lows are in the mid-20s to mid 30s at night. YMMV in North Dakota.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tube bag? tell me more, do you have a link or more info on the setup. I googled but found mainly industrial info.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
The latest FWW showed someone in the Tips section for space savings…

They mouted teh blower motor and 6 inch duct to the ceiling, then had the seperator ring mounted to the wall.

So they then had a metal trashcan on the floor to collect chips below the bag, and got rid of the cart on casters freeing up floor space, and emptying the metal trash can is easy compared to the clear plastic bag with band clamps..

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
A full bag of dust and chips, carrying it down pull-down stairs! I don't have a warm and fuzzy about this unless you put in a nice set of stairs.

If there is a humidity issue, the sawdust can get heavy - just be careful!

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
The latest FWW showed someone in the Tips section for space savings…

They mouted teh blower motor and 6 inch duct to the ceiling, then had the seperator ring mounted to the wall.

So they then had a metal trashcan on the floor to collect chips below the bag, and got rid of the cart on casters freeing up floor space, and emptying the metal trash can is easy compared to the clear plastic bag with band clamps..

- DrDirt
Do you have a picture of this setup? i can't quite envision it

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Do you have a picture of this setup? i can t quite envision it

- Notw
I will try to scan it when I get home… It is in the latest issue in the "tips and tricks/jigs section at the front".
so I don't see a pic online yet…. just shows up as "preview" with the text. But it is 3:30 here..

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop/tip/ceiling-mounted-dust-collector-saves-space.aspx

had to chuckle that it says it is in the January 1, 1900 issue of FWW. (who says Y2K was a myth!)

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DrDirt - now that is a setup that I like and also have room for. I appreciate all the feedback. The ceiling mount etc, would be much safer and easier to deal with than one in the attic. I had not thought of the displaced air, but tend to agree with TarHeelz. What with global warming, I am thinking of planting bananas. We have had rain every month this winter, even a rainbow last week. Unheard of in Dawson Creek, BC. With the DC vented directly outside I presume that the top bag (one micronbag) would be eliminated?? Our built in house vac vents outside, although I had to extend the piping to keep the dust from attacking the house. I imagine the same would have to be done here. Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Fine Woodworking #246 (April 2015)
Here is the scan to go from this:
Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Gas Cylinder

to this (I assume in reality vs. the drawing there is some kind of band/strap/bungee cord etc. around the top of the metal can to seal the plastic bag to it.)
Line Font Cylinder Parallel Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I built a dust collection system with impeller unit and motor above ceiling in my shop. I made a bracket that sat on the top of the bottom chord of the truss. The cyclone is directly below connected by short piece of 8" tube. The output of impeller goes back into double stack filters, which are also below ceiling, so warm air is distributed back into shop. The problem I encountered, and obviously not considered, was condensation. When the warm shop air went up to the attic, which is not heated and would right now be about 5f, it condensed. To solve, I enclosed and insulated the impeller. I also put an indoor/outdoor thermometer in there to monitor temps. Normally there is about a 5f difference, but that's not enough to worry about. I did initially install a fan to blow warm shop air into that space, but eventually stopped running it. I think I have pics somewhere if you're interested.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I built a dust collection system with impeller unit and motor above ceiling in my shop. I made a bracket that sat on the top of the bottom chord of the truss. The cyclone is directly below connected by short piece of 8" tube. The output of impeller goes back into double stack filters, which are also below ceiling, so warm air is distributed back into shop. The problem I encountered, and obviously not considered, was condensation. When the warm shop air went up to the attic, which is not heated and would right now be about 5f, it condensed. To solve, I enclosed and insulated the impeller. I also put an indoor/outdoor thermometer in there to monitor temps. Normally there is about a 5f difference, but that s not enough to worry about. I did initially install a fan to blow warm shop air into that space, but eventually stopped running it. I think I have pics somewhere if you re interested.

- jkinoh
Have you had any issues with motor heat with it being enclosed. I have an unconditioned garage shop and considered enclosing the motor due to noise but was concerned with the heat of the motor being an issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cabinetry Wood Interior design Bar stool Building

I haven't had any over-heating issues….that I know of. The enclosed space is spans 2 trusses (4'). About 4' high sloping back to rear of enclosure that's probably another 4 or 5'. Large enough area to get ventilation.

Picture was before I put the small fan in the ceiling and final pant on clean-out stand!

NOTE: The meter above the stereo is to monitor amperage on motor. Somewhere I read that when the filters get clogged, amps will go up. Have never had this issue, but it's there regardless. I would think amps wold also increase with heat….maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
DrDirt When my Jet vertex cone Dust collector arrived (2012). I called Jet to see if it was inadvisable to re-configured it as you display from Fine Wood Working #246. They said not to do that, but were never clear why. I think it was the company line that it should be installed exactly as they describe for warranty. So mine sits on the floor. I do think I'll replace the bag with a can…. someday

·
Registered
108 Posts
I made mine from scratch (with the exception of the airfoil impeller blades), so warranty is for life!! It was designed to be installed as it is, and works quite well. The only issue I had was the condensation, which was soon resolved. I can see where you wouldn't want to be hacking up a new collector that's under warranty.
I don't have the FW #246, but would be interested in the article. What were they reconfiguring on the Jet collector?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Found a pic of the blower install. This was when I first mounted the unit, and blew the exhaust outside. Shortly after (when it got cold), I bought the filters and ran air back into shop. It's amazing how quickly you can cool down a shop when you're sucking all the warm air out!!!

Wood Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.