LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
A lot of us here use this 2 hp unit from Harbor Freight with a Thein Separator in front of it. I have my unit outside of my shop in a cabinet against the back wall. I can still hear it when I switch it on but 90% of the noise stays outside. I lined the inside of the cabinet/shed with 1/2" sound board from Home Depot which again quiets the unit considerably. I don't have a bag on my unit. The Thein Separator catches about 95%+ of the shavings and sawdust. The tiny amount of fines that make it through the Thein unit gets discharged through a 4" 90% elbow pointing at the ground. What does get through is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
If you go with a Oneida system they will lay out the duct work for you in a CAD drawing and let you know which system is best for your needs… I have been talking with them over the past while as my shop is getting bigger and the suction is getting reduced on my DC. I think they would be worth checking out. http://www.oneida-air.com

·
Registered
570 Posts
You need to evaluate your usage. What machines that your using, their cfm requirements, 1 or 2 machines running at the same time. Are you concerned with the fine dust floating around. Check out Bill Pentz website, he,s the guru on DC. The Clearvue cyclone has some definite advantages over some of the rest.

·
Registered
13,523 Posts
You might look at my blog "Dust Collection In" I bought my cyclone and duct work from Penn State Industries. It is a great unit and I am very happy with it.

God Bless
tom

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the delta 50-760, it works well but I have one hose that I move from tool to tool. That works well for me. If I had a shop full of ductwork and blast gates I don't think it would be enough and would probably have gone with a cyclone. Here's what it came down to for me:
1. I was not going to run ductwork through my shop. It's a great idea but my list of "to-do's" is so long that it would fall on the "stuff that never gets done". I've accpeted that and the hassle of moving the single hose from tool to tool.
2. The cyclones, from everything I've read, are the best way to go, but for me I could achieve the same results for half the price. My shop is plenty clean and it works 1000x better than just a shop vac.

So, while everyone will have their favorites, choosing the "right" system depends on your budget, how you use your tools, and what type of projects you make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.