LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can anyone help me with something. I have a real hard time making 2 of something the same. I don't do enough to justify a duplicator. Tried making a salt and pepper shaker (not grinders, but actual shakers). It was obvious they were not even close to the same. Glad these were "try out" projects instead of for a customer.

Suggestions???

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
What works for me is putting it on paper first. A full size, inside and outside drawing. With that you decide when to do what, a step by step plan.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I don't know about turning but for other duplications I make templates for my router which sometimes require more than one template. The repeatability is as good as the template setup!

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Try to make a double pointed holder directly behind your lathe, and it must be on centre with both points like a headstock and a tailstock points.Then fit the original piece you turned, directly behind the new one you intend to make it becomes much easier to eyeball it that way also measurements are easier to transfer.I always turn to a cylinder first always never try to copy from square stock IMHO Have fun Alistair

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.