LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
So I picked up a Preformax 22-44 plus drum sander from a friend of mine. The machine had been sitting unused in his shop for several years. I knew it would need some adjust. But I 've been having alot of trouble with snipe. Ifeed and outfeed ends of the stock outfeed is worse. Ive pry spent 3 hours this week alone adjusting the infeed and outfeed screws running stock repeating with no luck. Any recomendations or ideas?? Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
I had this problem when I bought my 22-44 in 1994. I spent hours on the phone with Performax and the problems that came to be were the infeed and outfeed rollers were to tight. I set them where they were loose and the snipe stopped immediately. Don't try to take heavy passes with it either, it's a sander not a planer.

Another thing is doors but not all the time. When the drum crosses the door rail and hits the door stiles it will sometime snipe a little right behind the rail. The solution to that is ros the snipe out. You have to ros anyway to take out the linear sanding scratches.

Make sure your infeed and outfeed extensions are lined perfectly with the conveyor. Mine has rollers and not the flat panels. Yeng yangs standing next the machine seem to want to twist on them so I checked them when I'm going to run doors or panels through it to make sure everything is still lined up correctly.

Take you a piece of 3/4" plywood about 21" long and 12 or more inches wide. Draw pencil marks side to side and front to back about 2" apart and run it through the sander several times. That will tell you a lot about how everything is or is not in alignment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
I have the 22-44 and had to adjust the drum to parallel it to the bed it was nearly 1/16" off inside to outside. That made glue up a tremendous PITA on my 1st oak panel. Biscuits helped on the face but I don't use them often enough.

I used 1X10 pine glue ups, ran one, adjusted repeated till I had it at nearly .002 over the 18".
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top