LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I was standing in my shop earlier today and I was looking at my drill press which reminded me to bring this up for an answer. I have my dads 10 year old Mastercraft benchtop drill press and for some reason theres times (which is becoming more and more often) when the chuck (the whole head) falls right out of the motor and falls oon my piece that I'm working on. Any idea or cure?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
This happend to my old Craftsman a few times, I just got my dead blow hammer and gave it a few love taps, they are only held on by friction. But before you put a hammer to your chuck make sure it is open all the way as not to damage it.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
There may be some debris in the taper. Blow it out, wipe it out with some mineral spirits. Replace the chuck and raise the table, place a sizable block of wood on the table and lower the quill with the chuck and shaft and "press" it back into the quill. If it remains to be a problem, a couple of small drops of loctite on it should hold it. You dont want to "glue" it in place, just keep it in place

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
I would say light steelwool if there is any rust showing. But they have a taper fit and a light tap should drive it into place to hold. No lubricant. Maybe some lacquar thinner, acetone, finger nail polish remover to chean out the male and female parts on the joint. Then tap into place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.