LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I Have some spalted maple i would like to use to make a shaker style dresser ,problem is i don't have enough for the side panels,which are 3/4" plywood anyway,
Can i somehow use a thinner ply backer with a 1/4" glued up face board without expansion problems?
any information appreciated !
The plan is from wood mag. 188#
Thank you

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
1/4" is too thick for veneer. If you constrain that by fixing it to a substrate you will have problems. You want to keep it under 1/8", and apply the same thickness to both sides of the substrate.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
+1 to what Paul said. Plus, there's really no benefit to using 1/4" versus thinner, unless you were planning on routing some tiny details or something, which wouldn't fit in with your shaker style anyways. You can stretch that stock a lot further by going thinner, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.