LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've made an oops, again! I managed to assemble a large drawer, ~20×14x9, using 1/2" finger joint construction, 1/2" Birch Ply, without cutting the grove for the drawer bottom. Dummy me.

Any safe ideas on how to install the drawer bottom? I'm out of 1/2" ply and I hate to trash that much ply building a new drawer. The drawer is for shop furniture so I'm not too particular on the finish looks, more about the finish function. I suppose I could just attach a drawer bottom to the bottom of the sides (glue and brads) and be done with it but I'm concerned about the weight. A draw that large is going to carry some weight. Or is this another mountain / mole hill situation?

Thanks for taking the time,

Chunk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You may could glue in some ledges, say 3/4×3/4 inch strips along the bottom of all 4 sides and drop in and glue a piece of 1/2 inch ply. You can also install some runners along the underside of the bottom for support. I came real close to making a similar mistake but realized the error before glue-up. That was a close one…

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
David's method is easier (therefore better), but here was my first thought: use a router and a slot cutting bit to cut a slot around all 4 sides where the groove should have been. Then, cut clean through the groove on the back. Slide the bottom in from the back and anchor it so it doesn't slide back out. You'll also have to do some cleanup at the corners.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
do it easy like dave said, thats the easy way to go i think plus you dont have to worry about the weight cuz the strips u screw and glue in will hold. and u got the grain matching with the sides and the strips so u get good glue strenth.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hadn't thought of the runner idea. That sounds pretty easy to me. A little glue, a couple of brads, easy peasy, jap and easy.

I don't have a slot cutting bit, but that wouldn't stop me from getting one. I was thinking maybe using the router table, use a straight bit and cut a rabbet all the way around the inside. But this would trap the piece between the bit and the fence and that sounded like a recipe for disaster as I'm still pretty new to the idea of having a router table.

Sounds like not all is lost. Thanks for the advice!

Chunk

Now if anyone knows how to get this new puppy of mine to allow me more than 5 minutes in shop, that would be a huge help.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Sounds like you have some ideas that will work for the drawer. Now, as to the puppy, No problem! Everybody needs a shop dog….or cat….or both!
Before the owls got my cat, he used to wait until I was working at the TS then, jump on my shoulder and lick my ear.
The dog just lays under the bench.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I did that once. I cut the 1/2" ply wood to fit tight inside the drawer. Then I carefully drilled 1/4" holes through the sides into the bottom. I used 1/4" dowels glued and pressed through the sides, into the bottom. I also glued the edge of the bottom to the sides. I clamped it to make sure everything pulled up. It all worked perfect. The drawer guides hid it so no one but me will ever know.

The mark of a good woodworker is not being perfect, but being able to hid your mistakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.