LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello All!
I am in the process of reworking my shop, it is 24X30. Trying to get sawdust under control. I want to build a combination outfeed and downdraft table. I am having trouble on the design. Using a used squirrel cage and planning on a 1" thick top with 1 " holes spaced 2" apart. What size top will produce enough draft? Any ideas would be appreciated. Right now I am thinking 40" X 50"

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I've worked in many a professional shop, seen many a homemade down draft table and with rare exceptions, they did anything but suck dust.

I recently used one that did work but it wasnt cheap to make. 36" x 60". 1/2" baltic birch top covered in 1/8" rubber, 1/4" conical holes on 1" center to center. Under that was 6" of open space with three firmly fitting furnace type filters and under each filter was an explosion proof motor driving a super sonic squirrel fan. It was also 220 V.

they used the "candle test" to determine when the hole dia., were big enough. I didnt say anything but my guess…..............they could of bought one for less $$$$.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I built mine with a 1/4 inch perferated masinaite with a copple of 3/4 inch 1×4 under neath I use it for sanding table It takes a way all the dust from sanding. works great It also takes out dust that gets in the air.
Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.