LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
A few weeks I'm looking through the scrap metal bin at work and the shop foreman asks me what I'm looking for, I say a piece on 1/4 steel with different size holes in it for a dowel making plate.
He says give me a napkin drawing of what you want and I'll see what I can do. So I draw something up in inkscape and give it to him and today he stopped my cube and hands me this. Thanks Rob
Font Gas Measuring instrument Number Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
very nice looking dowel maker. I made one a few months ago with some 1/4" angle iron, and it works great, I made it based on the video that Izzy Swan posted a while back… I just made the little cutters with a dremel tool, I'm surprised at how well it works. One thing I noticed is that the 3/8" and 5/16" work better because they I didn't 'countersink' or wallow out the holes as much as I did on the 1/4" and 3/16"... Very quick and effective jig though. And you have to turn the clutch on your drill way down or it will keep breaking the wood.

Dont have any pictures of the dowels right now, but I've made 1/4" brazilian cherry, 3/16" oak, 3/8" poplar and others, and used poplar dowels on my last project…

Sorry about the F-bomb!
Rectangle Font Box Metal Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Aren't some of the dowel makers of that type designed to have the dowel pounded down through the hole? I assume you'd have to 8-side the stick before going to that final step. 7foot: do you have trouble making the dowels straight with your jig?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.