LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi peoples,

I have a question about my dovetail router jig.

This is my first time using one of these, and I can get a close fit, but the tails are slightly too big for the pins.

I know that reducing the bit height will make the tails smaller, but I've run into a problem. I have the bit as low as it will go without hitting the inside of the bushing (and it may have hit it a tiny bit already). This is still too high to get the tails to fit well (I can hammer them in, but that's too tight).

I figure there's a reason that the bushings are made out of a soft metal like brass, but I just wanted to check with you guys first.

Is there any reason not to retract the bit a little and rout away some of the brass? I know it shouldn't hurt the carbide, and I'm not too concerned about the accuracy of the INNER diameter of the bushing.

Just wanted to get some suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've ran into your situation where the bit needed lowered a minuscule amount for a proper fit but couldn't because of the brass bushing. My fix was to apply wide masking tape over the router base plate. This thickens the base plate and in essence lowers the bit without the hassle.

·
Registered
507 Posts
jtm,

Sounds to me like you have the wrong bit for the jig or the type of dovetail (ie: half-blind, through) that you are cutting. This info would be very helpful in determining the problem. I have two dovetail jigs and each one has certain bits for certain dovetails.

Here is what a bit should look like for half-blind.

Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Automotive design Automotive tire

I certainly wouldn't allow the bit to cut into the bushing. It could loosen it and cause a real danger.

Here is my first attempt at using my PC 4216 dovetail jig.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.