LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Someone once said that a Powermatic 3520B was a hobbyist lathe. He was implying that a non-automated machine was non-commercial or non-professional. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't even own that machine.

But not "labeling" problems as yet. However, I am sure it will happen soon enough. :)

Hutch

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm a carpenter too but if its woodwork that they are buying from me and they know me as a woodworker i hate it with a passion when they call it carpentry or call me a carpenter on the wrong term.

heres one for you cstrang….buscuit joiner or buscuit jointer ?

I also hat eit at work when another carpenter wants work done his way so hes riding your ass all day til you tell him to f*ck off…the work still gets done and you still get paid by the hour…lol

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Greetings Mark:..... Hey… you're a carpenter…. get over it…. lol. That's what you do to put grub on the table, and pay the light bill… you woodwork because you love it just like the rest of us… woodworking ain't gonna feed the bulldog unless that's your real job. They can call me what they will… just don't call me late for vitttles and soppings….. that's redneck for grub…..........lol.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Nope…doesn't bother me in the least. I don't build circular stairs…or furniture, for any type of moniker…or to be recognized as any one type of craftsman. I do it because I love every frustrating second of it…. I'm truly passionate about every single stroke with the plane….every single joint…every single curve. I do it because I love it.

Humility makes a fine craftsman.

Call me what you like….I know who I am.

As for this part Mark…

"I also hat eit at work when another carpenter wants work done his way so hes riding your ass all day til you tell him to f*ck off…the work still gets done and you still get paid by the hour…lol"

You wouldn't last long in my shop. ;o)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Hell, I don't mind being called a carpenter, woodworker, cabinet guy but I prefer wood butcher.

Heh, a couple of months ago I was talking to a salesman about a paint job on a truck and I mentioned a couple of my brothers would take care of it. He said "Oh, are they artistes?" I replied, "Nah, they're alcoholics" with a straight face (as I kept on walking across the lot). Gawd, I still chuckle over the expression that went across that guy's face.

·
Premium Member
25,669 Posts
Consider the source, they don't know the difference ;-)) People ask me if I'm a plumber all the time!! Why would you ask a guy will screwdrivers and wire cutters if he is a plumber? Since nobody wants to be a plumber, they make more than most other trades.

·
Registered
633 Posts
...and don't ya hate it when you are commissioned to do something for someone, you give them a fair price to produce what they want and they look at you thinking "I can buy that at Ikea for half that price"

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had people call me to do some repairs/renovations in their homes. The first thing they hit you with is, "it's not a big job." This is one way of telling you that it shouldn't cost very much.

Another thing… when you're showing your shop to someone for the first time and they look at you as if you're one brick short of a load and say, "what the heck do you need all these tools for???"

grrrr…

-Bobby

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.